Book Twirps's Reviews > Summer and the City

Summer and the City by Candace Bushnell

Apr 28, 11

Read from April 26 to 28, 2011

Carrie Bradshaw is finally in New York City. It’s where she’s always wanted to be, and she just knows it’s where she belongs. Summer & the City picks up right where The Carrie Diaries left off. Carrie is supposed to be attending Brown University in the fall at her father’s insistence. He wants her to become a scientist or something that will take her places, but all Carrie dreams of is becoming a famous writer. In the last book he reluctantly agreed to let her stay in New York for the summer and attend a writing class, but only after she agrees to go to Brown in the fall.

Carrie knows she is going to make it big. She has the whole summer to make her mark, and secure a place in the city. Once this happens, she is sure she can convince her father that New York is the place for her. In true Carrie fashion, things don’t go exactly as she’d planned, but the lessons she learns and the friends she meets makes everything all worth it.

If you are a fan of Sex & the City you have to read this book. While I enjoyed The Carrie Diaries, I LOVED this installment. This is where she first meets Samantha Jones and eventually Miranda Hobbes. Capote Duncan also plays a big role in this book. (As most of you SATC fans already know, Capote is in the very first episode of the TV series). There are definitely quite a few surprises in this book, and it is tons of fun to see who Samantha, Miranda and Carrie were as young women (Carrie is only 18 here). The back story gives a lot of insight into why the characters we fans know and love behave the way they do. This is a fresh take on Carrie & the girls, and I loved every word of it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer and the City.