Eric Kibler's Reviews > Bad Luck and Trouble

Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child

Apr 26, 2011

Read in April, 2011

Another enjoyable Reacher outing.

In this one Reacher discovers that one or more of his old unit has bitten the dust due to some down and dirty doings. The remaining members of the unit, a crack force, help Reacher track down the bad guys and scotch their plans.

As always, it's fun to spot the Brit-isms that pepper Child's dialogue, even though all the characters are American. People "laugh like drains" and call buildings "old piles".

Another writer I like is Max Allan Collins, but I've noticed he has a pet phrase that appears, with minor variations, in each of his books: "He patted the air with his hands". I've noticed that Child also has a pet phrase. He likes to have Reacher "butt papers together". You know, when you have a loose stack of papers and you use your hands to make them line up. In the past few books, there has been one, but not more than one, paper-butting incident. Well, in this book, Reacher becomes a paper-buttin' wild man, butting together stacks of paper every few pages. He even manages to butt together a stack of paper napkins. Not as easy as it looks, but when you have Jack Reacher's skill sets, it becomes child's play.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Luck and Trouble.