Faye's Reviews > Just the Sexiest Man Alive

Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, julie-james, 18-and-above, romance
Recommended to Faye by: Abby
Recommended for: Julie James fans, readers who lost the battle over romance books
Read from April 26 to 27, 2011

I know, I know. Some readers would say that this is a sappy romance that is not worth the time for them to read but you see, that is where they are very wrong. Well, for my opinion that is. Like I said, I always lost the debate on to read or not to read books that have a confident, smart yet sassy heroine in the story and I always end up reading those books even if the book might be somewhat predictable, even if I know very well that it sure will be a happy ending, that the girl would end up with the guy and be swept from her feet. Plus, I also lost the case when the guy is good-looking and many would think that he’s just a guy blessed with good genes but deep inside, there’s more substance to him than meets the eye.

So, with that in mind, that’s why I read another Julie James book. I’ve read two of her books (Something about You and Practice Makes Perfect, both the two I really liked) which both also starred attorneys or some lead characters connected with the law. I must say that in this book, I was amazed that she could connect a world-wide actor, the sexiest man on earth as the male lead was described to a counselor who takes no shit from anyone.

For that, I’ll give the book 4 stars out of 5 as you know, for the originality of her book and the creativity she showed here (which is why she’s one of my favorite authors when I’m looking for a good romance to lose myself into). Her book, I would describe as humorous and witty, and if ever it will be made into a movie, it would surely hit a good chick-flick to see. I for a girl who wants to see the heroines as strong woman, not the damsel in distress who need her knight in shining armor to help her (which sadly, many authors still use in their works) like Taylor Donovan, the girl who could cut your carefully practiced speech in no time with her sarcastic remarks.

I also would like to praise the way James put complications on her story where Taylor and Jason are really going from like category to the-I’m-falling-for-you then she would add another complication and the story would be twisted again and the two leads would then stew their mind if this is the right thing to do or not. I usually don’t do extensive reviews on romance books as I find most of them very cheesy and yeah, I’m a girl/woman but I can only tolerate as much, but I’d like to commend James that she made my tolerance reached another limit with her books.

Quote that i liked in the book:
“I realized that the one person who could break my heart is the only one who should have it.”
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just the Sexiest Man Alive.

04/26/2011
5.0% "well, I always lose over books who have strong female lead characters even if the book is predictable. It's just my weakness. :)"
show 1 hidden update…

Kwesi 章英狮 What I hate about Romance is that it has perfect characters with perfect plot. What I mean is that everything was in order.

Faye I know what you mean, and it could get very predictable but well yeah, like my review said, I'm still a sucker for those predictable-romance stories. haha!

So, I take it you don't read this kind of books?

Kwesi 章英狮 I've read some, but what I really like about those books are the proses the author used. Well, some was obnoxiously bad. Haha.

Faye What books have appealed to you then?

Haha, sometimes it is, like you have the feeling that, hey, maybe I can do better than that and while reading you're trying to edit the book in your mind. I go for the humorous ones with snappy or even sarcastic characters who bicker at each other like Elkeles works.

Kwesi 章英狮 I don't know. Haha.

Faye haha. wala talaga? have you read Perfect Chemistry?

Kwesi 章英狮 Nope, but I have the second book I bought it at booksale.

Faye nice! wala pa kong nakita nun sa booksale eh. mahal? Some says na mas maganda ung book 2 sa book one.

Kwesi 章英狮 I bought it for 70 pesos lang, I'm still looking for the book 1.

message 10: by Faye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Faye really? sweet!! sana may makita din ako. mas malapit kasi ung booksale sa min kesa sa national kaya mas madalas ako dun, and mas mura syempre.

message 11: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, good for you. Sa amin di naman kalayuan masyado.

message 12: by Faye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Faye haha.lucky you then.

I have a question, what book would you choose kung papipiliin ka ng isa lang?

message 13: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 28, 2011 04:35AM) (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 Wala. I rather die than to choose one book. Haha.

message 14: by Faye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Faye hahaha! that was an unexpected answer, natawa talaga ko. haha. :)