Krista Basilio's Reviews > Pants on Fire

Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot

Jun 09, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: humor, romance, young-adult, contemporary, chick-lit
Read in November, 2010

This is the first Meg Cabot book that I read and it gave me so much fun. Meg was well-known for her sense of humor and this story was definitely a great proof. I was really surprised how she cracked me up simply with some words.

Katie's character was really interesting. I disliked her at first; she seemed too pretentious, boy-crazed and silly to me. Besides, the fact that Katie was a two-timer was sort of shocking (maybe because it came right after very few first chapters). She also hid a secret about our male lead, which I was certain wasn't a nice thing either. But then the story progressed and Katie started to grow on me. It turned out that she was just a normal teenager who was trying to be with the right guy, to follow her dreams of becoming a photographer, and to fit in a town where Quahogs - whom she hated - ruled. Katie was too scared to be herself because it might change her life and how people looked at her.

I think it's somehow relatable to us teenagers. I bet you have at least once hid your real self just because you don't want to be an outcast for thinking or acting different, just like Katie. On the other hand, there are still a lot of Tommy Sullivan out there who stood up for what he believed. I adored Tommy alot, not only was he charming and caring, he was really brave as well. He did the right thing for justice even though the consequence was his going away from hometown.

Let me tell you what I like the most of this story: Katie and Tommy's strong bond. Even though Katie herself knew she betrayed her best friend, she did take his side for once, in a strange but sweet way. And Tommy, instead of coming back to take revenge on Katie, helped her reveal to the world the Katie only he saw. And realized who she was truly in love with.

I'm sure you'll go back and forth between "hahaha" and "awww" on reading this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pants on Fire.