Laura Newcombe's Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: favorites, what-just-happened, not-expecting-much, inspirations-what-you-are-to-me
Read from April 26 to May 23, 2011

More reviews at A Work of Fiction!

Have you ever finished a book and wondered, “How has this been hiding here all this time? Pages away, a masterpiece was waiting and I held it all this time, oblivious.”?
That was my initial thought when I finished Ultraviolet. I never thought a book whose opening line is; "Once upon a time there was a girl who was special." could claim my heart and leave me speechless.
I thought this was a book to pass the time with, something that would distract me while I waited for others to arrive, but I was wrong.
R.J. Anderson is such an undiscovered talent. Her writing is so beautiful and raw, her characters are unique and captivating, and her stories are utterly magical.
There was something about this book that kept me up at night, devouring page after page and still craving more. Whether it was the suspenseful end to each chapter or my enormous lit-crush on Sebastian Faraday that fuelled my craving, I don’t know.

Something I’ve heard various people complain about is the cover, saying it’s bland and ugly. Well, I don’t think that, I think it’s beautiful. I enjoy the simplicity of it. There’s no extravagant font smothering the entire page and the two-tones make it fairly easy on the eyes.
I like it. Then again, I like almost everything about this book. I don't have a lot to complain about.
You can tell that so much time, dedication, and research has gone into this book and for that reason - and others - I value Anderson’s work so much. There were so many twists and turns in this story that I did not see coming. Boy, was that refreshing!
Another thing, I hate prose, but I could listen to Anderson’s prose every day without boredom. Now that's saying something!

This is one definitely worth buying and so I hope this book can be even half as special for you as it was for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.

Quotes Laura Liked

R.J. Anderson
“I disliked numbers, and they didn't think much of me either.”

R.J. Anderson
“I might not be ready to pour out my feelings to the world, but I’d had enough of trying to ignore them.”

R.J. Anderson
“But there were worse things than disappointment, and I'd lived through several of them already.”

R.J. Anderson
“I realized then that even though I was a tiny speck in an infinite cosmos, a blip on the timeline of eternity, I was not without purpose.”

05/12/2011 page 21
05/17/2011 page 65
21.0% "Wow! It surprises me how much I'm liking this book."
05/18/2011 page 100
33.0% "This is so much more than I expected!"
05/22/2011 page 267
88.0% "I am so in love with this book!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I loved this book so much--I'm glad you were swept up by it, too! :) I really hope people will appreciate it when it's finally released.

Laura Newcombe Oh, absolutely. The best part is that I wasn't even expecting to love this book half as much as I do. It was so beautiful! I only hope that others feel the same way, too. (:

message 3: by Racquel (new)

Racquel Great review, I will make sure to read this soon after reading your review((:

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I keep seeing great reviews for this book. I MUST read it soon. :) Glad you enjoyed it, Laura.

Laura Newcombe Oh, it was so wonderful! I hope you can read it soon and enjoy it just as much as I did. :)