Jenny's Reviews > Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

F_50x66
Jun 05, 08

bookshelves: wish-i-had-not-read
Recommended for: no one... period
Read in February, 2007

I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand the plot is very interesting. On the other, the author makes so many sexual references and adds scenes that are not even needed for the plot that it almost ruins the book. It seems he thinks the real learning arena is sexual encounters and sensory gratification. I also think he blurs the lines between real good and real evil. Obviously those who are different are not really evil. But killing, even for political reasons and vengence, is evil. The story seems to have no real morals only political implications.

Plus the author is all over the place. He has many ideas and narratives and they are very disjointed. He talks about Animal rights and the political climate of Oz and suppression but don't really tie it in well. Except that this is a passion of Elphie. I almost think he is comparing them to todays climate. Would the outcasts be lesbians and gays? Immigrants? He doesn't do a good job of making it interesting or thoughtful. Its just plain boring. He also spends tons of time describing relationships that go nowhere, and places that mean nothing. I found myself wishing for a cliffnotes version and I have never wished that before.

I do think it challenged me to look at political activity in a closer light but not the rest of my life. I enjoyed the plot but also found myself skipping tons of parts where he seemed to get preachy over the reality of good/evil. I also disagree in his depiction of fate. I don't think people are puppets but I believe all have a choice in what they do. You also feel sad for Elphaba because she never really succeeds at anything and never really finds happiness. Her death is so vague that you are unsure what really happened and what it meant to you.

The end is disappointing. You feel cheated. Watch the play - skip the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magi (new)

Magi what a good book!!! a very nice idea to know the other side of the story.

Chrissy I love this shelf you created...books I wish I had not read. I'm totally creating that shelf and putting this one on it. I hated this book.

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Gray What Chrissy said!! : )