Kathy's Reviews > Case Histories

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

May 06, 11

Read from April 25 to May 05, 2011

“Case Histories” really drew me in and kept me interested throughout. The first of Ms. Atkinson’s mysteries starring private investigator, Jackson Brody, “Case Histories” takes us along while Mr. Brody investigates three cold cases (very cold, the most recent being 10 years old).

The cases themselves involve a sister who went missing as a toddler, a daughter who was murdered by a stranger, and a particularly gruesome axe murder. The characters from the various cases interact – with each other and with Mr. Brody. Some of the coincidences are a little far-fetched, but it takes nothing away from the enjoyment of the book. Also, while some connections and solutions can be seen from miles away, others were gasp inducing.

The best parts of Ms. Atkinson’s writing for me are her humor and her characters. I laughed out loud a number of times and genuinely felt for some of the characters (most, really). It is hard to blend achingly sad situations (the pain of the father who lost his daughter was visceral) with funny moments that do not detract from the story, but Ms. Atkinson manages quite well.

I read a later Jackson Brody mystery a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Having read this one second did not detract from my enjoyment in the least. Most recommended!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Case Histories.