Jonfaith's Reviews > London Fields

London Fields by Martin Amis

Apr 25, 2011

Read from April 25 to May 07, 2011

Consider me dazzled, yet the very flurry of distorting mirrors and laser images reveal more about Mr. Amis and England than about The Novel (as it were) or The End -- in whatever eschatological capacity is extended to the present day punter. The figure of Keith Talent is amazingly realized, aside from the slurs, the belches and the nudges, there is something monstrously vivid in his haunts (both senses) and struggles. He may be Martin's Bloom.

Nicola Six's machinations were as uncomfortable for the reader as for poor Guy Clinch and yet. . . I feel envigorated by this marathon. This is the lash as penitence and as encouragement. Hail Marty the Knout!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London Fields.

04/29/2011 page 85
show 2 hidden updates…

Jonfaith Yes -- Horrorday. I'm glad you were moved by London Fields. It refuses to be ignored or belittled.

message 2: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten I have this on my short list. Awesome to see five stars from you.

Lisa Wish I had come up with that sentence to start my thoughts on London Fields. "Consider me dazzled" would have been equally accurate, and less vindictive than "Ha! I did it!"

With hindsight I have to admit that London Fields stayed with me, despite the rage I felt at times while reading it.

I actually liked Nicola! She at least helped the plot move forwards while the others were just moping around and playing darts. My favourite character was Marmaduke, though.
Great review!