Steven Wilber's Reviews > Road to Death

Road to Death by Matt Forbeck

Apr 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: eberron

I really enjoyed this book and found it to be even better than the first book in the series. This was filled with adventure and has a very interesting storyline. I really liked the author's fast-paced style.

As I mentioned in my review of the first book (Marked for Death) the premise on which this series is based is extremely interesting and in my opinion pretty original. In Eberron there are twelve Dragonmarked Houses. Select members of these houses develop dragonmarks, which are tattoo-like runes on their bodies that grant spell-like abilities. There was once thirteen dragonmarks but only twelve remain. It was believed that the thirteenth dragonmark was destroyed along with the house that bore it. The premise of the series is that the lost thirteenth mark, The Mark of Death, has returned.

In this second book in the series the characters really start to come into their own. By this I mean that they really start to develop into multidimentional characters rather than cookie-cutter staples of fantasy fiction. I don't want to give any spoilers, but in this book there are a number of interesting conflicts faced by some of the main characters. One struggles to come to grips with her powers, while others struggle with their relationships and how they stand with the group. I found these developments quite interesting and well done.

As in the first book, the author does an excellent job of incorporating a lot of Eberron-specific content into the story without overwhelming the reader. In this series you can clearly see the difference between Eberron and other fantasy settings, which is refreshing.

On a whole, this series is well thought out and filled with all the action and adventure you might expect from a fantasy novel. This book has a number of battle scenes that were well written and the author manages to capture some of the confusion and tension that I would expect in battle.

Overall, I would recommend this book to fans of Eberron, role playing games, and fans of fantasy in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Road to Death.