Amber's Reviews > Redeeming Love

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

May 02, 11

bookshelves: ebook-own
Read from April 29 to May 01, 2011

What an incredible journey Francine Rivers takes you on throughout this book. What an amazing story of strength, hurt, hate, fate, love and faith! What an undeniable testament to God’s unconditional love. You will be captivated and pulled in emotionally when you read this story.
Warning: This book is sure to capture you and pull at your heart-strings.

This story is set in New England, 1835. Young Sarah’s life was tarnished from the beginning. Sarah overhears a conversation between her absent father, Alex Stafford and her mother Mae. This conversation sets off the story and an understanding of unacceptable ways of life back in the 1800’s. Mae and Sarah face hard times when Alex kicks Mae out of his cottage he bought for her to stay in. Let’s just say he wanted Mae and only Mae. Your heart will drop to the floor during this conversation and bring tears to your eyes as little Sarah overhears what is said. Sarah ends up basically a glorified prostitute. With her beautiful blonde hair and her pretty face, Angel (aka Sarah) is doomed to this life at a very early age. This seems to be the only way of life for her until she escapes the terrible Duke and ends up in California in another sticky situation. Angel is left battered and bruised. She is taken in by the “Duchess”, which isn’t any better really than Duke was. Life in the brothel was wearing down Angel and she knew she needed an escape. She dreamed of buying land and having a cabin away from the life she grew up in.
Three days a week Angel would be escorted on a walk through town to get some fresh air and she catches the eye of Michael Hosea, a farmer. Michael has always waited for God to lead him to the right woman to marry and as soon as he sets eyes on Angel, he knew she was the one.

There is a love so deep and unconditional between these two, yet Angel is like a stone wall that is uneasy to break. Piece by piece and bit by bit, Michael teaches Angel of true and unconditional love. Angel resists to feel worthy of such a warm, handsome and loving man. Michael is devoted and his will and patience is tested as he helps Angel discover a different way of life and a life with love in it. Not the kind that is faked and forced, but true, real love.

I honestly can say this book has delivered so much more than the title given. The author captures and wraps you up into this amazing story with such detail that you feel as if you were a written character and living Angel’s life as you read. My heart just broke for Sarah. She was a young innocent little girl that was thrown into a life of unspeakable torture. I have been stung by the soul of this story and I don’t think I will be able to release it from my thoughts for quite some time.

A beautifully, touching story that will be a timeless masterpiece.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redeeming Love.

05/01/2011 page 331
69.0% "Oh this turns your tummy and fumbled with your heart." 2 comments

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I had this book at my house over Christmas and never got around to reading it. My mom says its amazing. I will have to borrow it again from her. :)

Amber It's gotten great reviews. I really want to read it soon.

Nomes this book is amazing.

especially if you love love stories :D i re-read this one every few years. LOVE IT

Amber It sounds good and I love, love stories!

Amber Tracy wrote: "I had this book at my house over Christmas and never got around to reading it. My mom says its amazing. I will have to borrow it again from her. :)"

Does she have the actual book then??

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic There are lots of great reviews for this. I am very tempted to download this right now....

I can see my husband taking my kindle away in the future ;)

Jessica Nic, download it and read it together with us! We’re starting today!

*sigh* My Kindle’s going to be my downfall. I’m such an impulsive reader, and it’s very dangerous for me that whenever I want a book it’s just one click away. And since we’re talking ebooks the boyfriend has no overview over how many books I actually purchase so...no more watchdog for me.

Nomes Nic ~ DO IT!

I will re-read it with you guys too. I am completely nostalgic about it now :) Are you reading it over the weekend?

Nomes and LOL Jessica! that's right ~ the kindle leaves no evidence! (unlike the mysterious packages arriving at my front door ;)

Jessica Cool! :D Yes, we're reading it over the weekend!

Hehe, exactly! ;)

message 11: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Okay ~throws review books aside~. Will download tonight.

Oh kindle how I love you ~cues evil laugh~

Nomes yay Nic!

i will start it tomorrow morning (after going to my sons soccer game ~ most likely in the pouring rain...) so will enjoy a snuggle up with one of my all-time faves.

message 13: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Hahah! Happy Reading you guys! I've heard that book is amazing, but the historical is putting me off from reading it. Never was very good with that genre. Looking forward to your review guys!

Nomes Thanks Tina

i've never thought of this book as historical for some reason? even though it obviously is :)

message 15: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ It's a little intimating to me. I can't bring myself to lib it since I would have a time frame, so I might just order it one day and read it slowly. I might try it as my challenge book:)

message 16: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I don't like historical much either twinie but I noticed Nomes shelfed this under swoon worthy crushes and I like that genre very much!

Jessica Hmm, what I’ve read so far didn’t strike me as “historical” at all...

message 18: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 29, 2011 04:59AM) (new)

~Tina~ LOL Nic! Your too cute!

Jessica wrote: "Hmm, what I’ve read so far didn’t strike me as “historical” at all..."

Really? The cover makes it look very historical. I know it's also a Christian book, which is also intimating.

Jessica I mean, sure, it is historical but it doesn't read like it at all. Not all dusty and frumpy. Can't really say anything about the christian part yet...

message 20: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Ohhhhhh, gotcha;)

Nomes really can't wait to hear what you guys think! albie, arlene and i gave it 5 stars...

it feels more contemp than historical because all the characters talk normally and there's no "dramatic-style" sections on describing stuff all the time.

as for the Christian stuff ~ I'll be curious what you think. It's not preachy or anything. And it features some fairly explicit content (with prostitution/sex themes) so it just feels more "real" than anything.

@ Nic ~ I first met Michael when I was a young impressionable teen, LOL. He made quite a decent impact on me, haha. He has stayed with me throughout the years. He is definitely on my top list of guys I'd have :D

Jessica Hehe ;) You can decide if you want to give it a try after you've read our reviews but I think you might like this. At least from what I can tell so far ;)

message 23: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I'm really looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this. I've always been curious about this book:)

Amber Can't wait to start :)

message 25: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I knew you'd finish it last night!!! :) Wasn't it wonderful?!

Amber Yes it was. I was up super late lol. It touched me. What a good story

Arlene Beautiful review Amber! I adored this book and I will definitely read it again. Glad you love it too. :)

Amber Thank you Arlene! What an amazing story! I think I used a quarter of a box of tissue though lol. Oh, and that Michael...whew, I think I'll take an order of that!!!

Arlene LOL! Yes Michael was just lovely. :)

I read this book while i was traveling and I can't remember getting from airport gate to airport gate. My facial expressions must have been amusing for people that saw me. My heart broke 100 times while i read this. It was awesome IMO. :)

Amber Oh I can only imagine! LOL and I agree, it was awesome!

message 31: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Amazing review Amber!

Amber Thanks Teeny! I think I need some chocolate, wine and my Pride and Prejudice movie for a 5 star night LOL I ate a LOT of chocolate while I read this book!

message 33: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Comfort food is always important. I always have chili or tacos when I read the Morganville books. It's a thing in the book that just makes me crave them LOL!

Amber Lol. Oh, chili sounds good right now! Yummmmm I'm planning on reading those books next. Rumor has it there's a hottie named Shane! LMAO

message 35: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ LOL!! Yup! I think you'll really love those books. I read the first one and had to read the rest of the series straight. so So SO much fun!

Arlene Did I hear someone mention NEKKID SHANE around here???

Squeeeeeeee!!

Carry on...
:P

Amber OH BOY LOL. now
I'm fired up to read them even more!
~cracking up Arlene~!

message 38: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Gorgeous review Amber. So wondefully said.

@ Arlene - NEKKID SHANE where? where? where?

Amber ~passes the Xanax~