Lisa's Reviews > From a Cornish Window.

From a Cornish Window. by Arthur Quiller-Couch

May 09, 11

bookshelves: kindle, 20thcentury, britain, abandoned
Read from April 25 to May 09, 2011

I downloaded ‘From a Cornish Window” for sentimental reasons (having lived in Cornwall for a while) but it's not about Cornwall - and it is most bizarre… Quiller-Couch is an odd-bod, to say the least.
It's ok in its own quaint way, but I put it aside to read something else and I can't be bothered going back to it. Not even to add a Q surname to my list of books read.
GR needs a button to denote abandoment because marking it 'read' is a lie, and the only other alternative is to delete it, and then I wouldn't have a record of having started it.
And you never know, it's still on my Kindle, I may feel guilty and some back to it one day...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From a Cornish Window..

04/25/2011
6.0% "Next time there's an A-Z Authors meme, I'll be ready for it!"
04/26/2011
24.0% "loc 647"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I agree. Abandoned books should not be marked as 'read' as that is dishonesty. There should be a button for that. Or readers should just removed it from their folders if they don't want to read it again. But then, how do you get credit for the time you spent reading pages of it?

So far, I only have 2 books that I abandoned: James Joyce's Ulysses (twice abandoned) and Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Ha ha. I was too ambitious to read them when I was not a voracious reader yet. I am planning to give "Ulysses" another try this year and maybe Gibbons next year when I am more equipped to tackle them.

message 2: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· Lisa you can make an 'abandoned' shelf - just make it exclusive. Then the book will only appear there, and not also on the default exclusive shelves (read, to be read and currently reading) I have a 'partially read' - which is for reference works that no-one could possibly read cover to cover, and one that I've called 'will-come-back-to', although I'm probably deceiving myself there.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Karen wrote: "Lisa you can make an 'abandoned' shelf - just make it exclusive. Then the book will only appear there, and not also on the default exclusive shelves (read, to be read and currently reading) I have ..."

Yep, that's what I did. Called it 'did-not-finish." All were abandoned because I didn't like them. My 'will-come-back-to' folder is also exclusive.

Lisa Teresa wrote: "Karen wrote: "Lisa you can make an 'abandoned' shelf - just make it exclusive. Then the book will only appear there, and not also on the default exclusive shelves (read, to be read and currently re..." I'd never thought of that - excellent, idea, thanks!