Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Journeyman's Ride

Journeyman's Ride by Marie Harte

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: Available Now!
Publisher: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://marieharte.blogspot.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Steam Level: Scorching

When I first read the blurb, I was a little concerned, because it says “Drawn by her lush beauty, he agrees to guide Miranda across the Plains if she’ll let him explore her body each night.” This bothered me for two reasons — first, it made Danner sound like a complete jerk who would exploit a woman in a desperate situation, and second, it made Miranda sound like a bit of a loose woman, and I tend to prefer my heroines to be a bit more chaste, especially in historicals or steampunk stories.

I shouldn’t have worried, because while that is indeed the bargain that they made, the circumstances surrounding it completely set my mind at ease, and I immediately liked both Miranda and Danner. The chemistry between the two was explosive, and the love scenes were enough to leave a reader panting.

The vast majority of things that didn’t work for me all happened in the very last part of the story. The beginning was fantastic, and I absolutely loved the world that Ms. Harte has created, where gods and goddesses of old punish humans with god-bolts of lightning, where technology once existed but is now forbidden, where steampunk-like elements such as clockwork spyders (complete with the ability to spin incredible silk webs) roam with wild plains, and where children of the gods roam the earth seeking to correct injustices. Add to that the incredibly delicious encounters between Miranda and Danner, and you’ve got the makings of a very good story.

Had the worldbuilding been more detailed, and maybe some of the ending action had been re-arranged or at least drawn out a little further, I think this could’ve been an absolutely wonderful read. As it is, the climax of the story (no pun intended) rather ruined it for me, so in the end I will have to go with a very solid 3/5 Stars, and a great little read for fans of super-steamy western fantasies.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journeyman's Ride.