Tucker's Reviews > I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions

Apr 25, 2011

bookshelves: finished
Recommended to Tucker by: Abby S
Read in April, 2011 , read count: 1

A friend gave this book to me for my birthday. I love my friends. As for the book...it took me about an hour to read followed by three hours to deconstruct the introductory episode where the author watches a baby drown and does nothing, on the premise that the baby is a Thai Buddhist and if it falls out of a canoe it was its destiny to do so because that's what its parents believe. She could have made an argument for respecting local traditions and the superstitious choices of the parents and mentioned how this results in emotionally and intellectually uncomfortable choices for foreign visitors. If she had carefully made that argument I might have still disagreed but I wouldn't have reacted so negatively. What she actually says sounds rather more like she believes that metaphysical facts are different in Thailand: if you live in Thailand and believe in Buddhism, you have a destiny and you reincarnate; if you don't, then you won't. Not only can you create a reality that's true for you, but you can project your beliefs onto others (your children) and make your reality true for them, such that if you think happy thoughts while you watch your children die unnecessarily, then those happy thoughts magically become reality for them so it's all OK and nothing about the situation needs to be improved. Anyway, the passage in question is very unclear and brief and it is useless to overanalyze it. I guess what I hoped for in a retrospective of a lifelong spiritual seeker was a little seriousness -- at least when the subject is drowning babies. Can we be lighthearted and "all over" everything else except avoidable infant mortality?

Maybe I am a pill. This is not a philosophy book and when I stop demanding ethical coherence from it I can have a better memory of it. Toward the end she had a lot to say about the Mayan prophecy of 2012. My favorite part was her story about going to a party and mistaking cocaine for Sweet & Low.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Over All That.

04/07 marked as: read

Abby I didn't have a problem with the baby drowning because the baby was out of her reach AND she did choose to respect tradition and I respect her for her choice however disturbing the outcome.

Doingitwritenow thank you. I see there is at least one other person still teetering on the edge of having a soul with me. I was so sickened by this- I can only hope it was some BS malarkey she dreamed up like the rest of her tales of "suffering." Yet in the next breath, says she is admittedly blessed and revered. I hated this, and now I dislike her. I wish I had saved my $2

Alana This book was a fun read. One doesn't have to agree with the author to enjoy her insights and her beliefs. It's also fun to weigh one's own opinions and beliefs against someone else's. She didn't criticize people who do not agree with her. I found this book refreshing because she was very honest with her opinions and she didn't claim to love everybody she met, which is very rare and autobiographies. It was a decent read and I enjoyed my afternoon with it. Just because one doesn't agree with her opinions and her beliefs do not attract from her great talent as an actress and a storyteller.

message 5: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie That passage horrified me as well. While I'm openminded about reincarnation, surely if there IS a cause-and-effect law in the universe, sitting by and watching a baby drown because everybody else was has got to rack up a few Bad Karma brownie points. I like some of her other snippets. It was frankly fun hearing about her high-power trysts, and she's truly insightful at times. The idea of "I am still here," with an emphasis on the "still," inspires me. However, my overall impression is of a privileged woman bestowing her spiritual wisdom from on high, and that is not my kind of spirituality.