Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)'s Reviews > OyMG

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: favorite-books
Read from April 25 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

Posted on: http://www.cynthial11.blogspot.com/

I love it when I go into a book without really knowing what to expect, thinking it might not be for me to just be proven completely wrong and end up loving it. That's how I felt about OyMG, I have to be honest and say that the cover is what made me judge it before reading it, I think it's cute don't get me wrong, but I didn't think it was for me. I thought it would be more middle grade than YA and more cutesy fluffy light read which it wasn't at all. Yes, it's fun, definitely! It has its cute moments and made me giggle several times and smile through most of it but it also includes serious topics that are discrimination and stereotyping, but written in a way that is so well done that it doesn't feel like a heavy read but it still leaves its mark on you.

Ellie was such a fun character to read and connect with, I definitely loved her from the start. She was stubborn and smart, ambitious, competitive and always willing to speak her mind which was one of her best qualities, until she goes to camp and starts doubting her true self, her beliefs and who she really wants to be. I went into reading OyMG thinking it would be just a lighthearted read but was instead blown away by its dynamic set of characters, the depth of the story and how well and easy flowing the writing was. I literally immersed myself into Ellie's life that during the intense and wonderful scenes of love and courage I felt my heart warming and melting for her and her wonderful family, which by the way were one of the best I've read in YA.

Closer to the end of the book I was so caught up in the story that I got all teary-eyed and felt extremely proud of Ellie for the choices that she ends up making. I loved all the questions and doubts that the author brings out in Ellie, what is right and what is wrong? Is it right to overlook discrimination because it will get you where you want to be? Should you stand up for your beliefs even if it means you'll lose something you've been working so hard for? I loved all the heavy topics this story brings out and that it's all perfectly woven in this story that doesn't make it an intense read but an enjoyable one that leaves you with a great message at the end. OyMG was a wonderful book with well written characters that you'll easily fall in love with and a great plot without the heaviness but with hints of lightness and humor that makes it an all-around smart and fun read. I definitely recommend this one to everyone, from middle grade age to teens and adults, it's a book that anyone can enjoy.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read OyMG.

04/26/2011 page 67