Mike Grattan's Reviews > No Good Deed

No Good Deed by M.P. McDonald

Apr 25, 2011

Read in April, 2011

Although there are some problems with this book, I'm giving it four stars. Why, you ask? Primarily to recognize the storytelling and writing skills of the author. Although there were some typos and grammatical errors, especially in the latter 1/3 of the book, McDonald spins a good story with interesting characters and themes. My emotions traversed the entire spectrum while reading this book, and that rarely happens when reading most "best seller" fiction.

Yes, there were some problems with the book; primarily with editing. Additionally, as a plot device, the magic camera just doesn't seem to fit within the overall context of the story. If the author had introduced the reader to the material in a way that gives the reader "permission" to suspend his disbelief then perhaps we could move forward with such a plot device. As an example, see F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series, which plays off the supernatural plot devices from previous books such as The Keep.

Perhaps a prequel is in order. We, as the audience, need to understand where the camera came from and how it works...and we needed to understand that before it was placed into the plot of a modern-day thriller. If the title of the book had been "No Good Deed: The Adventures of Mark Taylor, Former Warehouse 13 Agent" then perhaps the camera would be more believable as a plot device.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Good Deed.