Elaine Curry's Reviews > The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Final Days in Jerusalem

The Last Week by Marcus J. Borg

F_50x66
Apr 07, 12

I couldn't rate this a 5, because there were parts that conflicted with and challenged my beliefs. I also couldn't rate it a 5 because there were parts that I just didn't understand the meaning of. Neither could I rate it a 3, because there were parts that I loved. This book presents a new perspective to the final week of Jesus' life, and I enjoyed most of it.

"Two themes run through these stories that sum up the central meanings of Easter. The first, in a concise phrase, is Jesus lives. He continues to be experienced after his death, though in a radically new way. He is no longer a figure of flesh and blood, confined to time and space, but a reality who can enter locked rooms, journey with followers without being recognized, be experienced in both Galilee and Jerusalem, vanish in the moment of recognition, and abide with followers always...Together, the appearance stories in the gospels make explicit what is promised in Mark: 'You will see Him.' They underline the parabolic meaning of Mark's story of the empty tomb: Jesus is not among the dead, but among the living...He is a figure of the present, not simply of the past. The presence his followers had known in Jesus before his crucifixion continued to be experienced and to operate after it."

This was what one part that rates high on my list of what I loved about this book; it's toward the end. During the Chapter about Saturday - The Sabbath - I almost stopped reading. I'm glad I didn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Week.