Yuki's Reviews > I Will Fear No Evil

I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein

Jan 28, 15

bookshelves: science-fiction, fantasy, gave-away, 2011, dnf, anti-recommendation-book-club
Recommended to Yuki by: goodreads find--you win some, you lose some
Recommended for: Die-hard Heinlein fan, possibly
Read from May 05 to 18, 2011

A largely ignored Heinlein work apparently, and understandably.

I give up. The best bit was probably right in the middle. I made it through 2/3 of Heinlein's tale set in the 21st century, a pubescent boy's/DOM's wet dream of a future in which nubile 28-year-old secretaries dress in sheer fabrics and/or body paint. It's also a violent future with armor-plated cars, if you can afford it. No four-letter words worse than "damn" though, just slang like "frimp" which is ..swing talk. It's a general verb, one which includes every possible way to copulate...--every possible way to hook up two or more bodies--any number--of any sex, or combinations of all six sexes, and including far-out variations that would shock you right out of this bed. But swing is a today scene, so it's not surprising you hadn't heard the word 'frimp' before. I can't help picturing a pile of wriggling shrimp.

Heinlein actually manages to make a brain transplant boring. (Some spoilers ahead.)

I've tried to keep an open mind about the 1960s (I adore "Mad Men"!) and read past page 20 because this is Robert A. Heinlein, whose name has been breathed in the same sentence as Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. The dialogue in the first four chapters is pretty much disgraceful in any context. Deliberately? The first interesting conversation occurs about 220 pages in when Johann/Joan Eunice asks Jake Salomon--Johann's loyal lawyer of decades and Joan Eunice's lover of a few months before Eunice's brain death--what he thinks of homosexuality, how he defines it. With a 90+ y/o man's brain in a healthy 28 y/o woman's body, how do you truly define gender? All these interesting questions raised smack-dab in the middle of the book.. and then he has to go and ruin it with a spanking. A spanking that is not remotely erotic by any stretch of the imagination, though Joan Eunice begs to differ.

There are some very interesting ideas tucked into the novel about marriage contracts, and licenses for child-bearing...

But then Johann/Joan Eunice is suddenly inspired to (view spoiler). I am continuing to read the second half of the book for sheer comedy.

Perhaps I should have started with Starship Troopers or Stranger in a Strange Land.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Fear No Evil.

05/06/2011 page 213
05/07/2011 page 227
44.0% "They label these so-called sexes both by behavior and physiology, with a new school of psychology..to account for them. The six are ortho-male, ortho-female, ambi-male, ambi-female, homo-male, homo-female--and some list a seventh, the solos or narcissists. Even an eighth, the non-sex, the neuters, both physical and psychological."
05/09/2011 page 294
57.0% ""(Joan, I wasn't trying to talk you out of it. I just didn't want us knocked up by accident. Say through a playful romp with Judgie Wudgie. Or Alec. But if you want to that's fine. Marry Jake and get pregnant at once. Or get pregnant by him and then marry him; he might be more tractable.)""
04/01/2014 marked as: dnf
show 1 hidden update…

Yuki Look at that, it was up on bookswap for all of 12 minutes. Hahaha!

message 2: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Horrible...that's all I can stand to hear.

Yuki I wish I could scrub it all from my brain.

message 4: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito And where is this bookswap section? I can't find it.

Yuki Defunct.