Jill's Reviews > Two Moon Princess

Two Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

May 10, 11

bookshelves: a-galleys-arcs-etc, a-reviewed, b-time-travel, b-parallel-worlds, a-read-in-2011
Read from April 25 to May 08, 2011

So, when I started the book I was a little underwhelmed to be quite honest. I wasn't sure I would like it when I requested the Galley, but it did sound interesting.
Then, I started to read and after a while it really grew on me.
The plot of one or more parallel worlds isn't new, but it was executed well enough and backed with "fact" (I didn't check whether it checks out, but it does sounds geniune).
Actually, I thought most of the novel would take place in California. Although, now when I re-read the synopsis it's kind of obvious that most of the novel takes place in the "country" Xaren-Ra.

I'm having a hard time finding things to criticize, although the novel wasn't "readreadreadread" like some others were this year. It was a good read, it kept me entertained, even though it seemed to be kind of slow sometimes. Don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff happens in it, sometimes several months are covered in one chapter but it dragged sometimes.

But the last few hundred of pages I read with ease, I desperately wanted to know with whom Andrea would "end up" because my suspects continually changed ranks, which is a good thing. I hate it when the boyfriend is predictable.

Oh and Andrea's (royal) family! So much coldness ... Andrea being afraid of her parents, having such a cold mother and such a *insert unflattering word* for a sister. Definitely not an easy family to deal with. I think she managed all right. She's 17, she was bound to be jealous and most probably fall in love with the first guy she's not related to ... or something like that.

In any case, if you like romance novels with a touch of fantasy (although the only fantasy is really the fact that two worlds exist obliviously next to each other) and like princesses, this novel is definitely for you!

But for me, there ought to be more sci fi and more fantasy -- I can't blame the novel for this fact, though. I knew it isn't the usual story I read and I liked it. But I don't usually go out of my comfort zone like that. So I probably won't be repeating this experience. I'm trying to be objective. I liked it enough to consider buying it, but not enough to pick up other books with the same genre description.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Moon Princess.

05/07/2011 page 128
40.0% "Better than I thought it would be :)"
show 2 hidden updates…