Lucie Wheeler's Reviews > The Golden Chain

The Golden Chain by Margaret James

4206106
Apr 25, 2011

I really enjoyed this book, the follow up to Margaret James's first ChocLit book, The Silver Locket, where we first hear about Daisy Denham.

The Golden Chain is a story about Daisy, who is now 15 years old and has not long been living back in Dorset after growing up in India. Dorset hides many secrets for Daisy, and she soon begins to long for a life on the stage. She then meets Ewan Fraser, who also dreams of stardom and is prepared to uproot and search for it. He asks Daisy to go with him and she agrees. But life on tour with a theatre company is not as glamorous as it seems. Daisy falls for handsome Jesse Trent and Ewan is tempted away by his career dreams. They drift apart and end on bad terms. But things soon go from bad to worse, but maybe it is too late for Daisy to rectify her decisions?

This is a satisfying love story where the characters are brought to life as soon as they walk onto the page. As with Margaret's previous ChocLit novel, you are continuously wondering what the outcome will be in the end, and she keeps the reader on edge, willing them to make the right decision.

A thoroughly enjoyable read that I found difficult to put down. I look forward to Margaret's next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Chain.