Lilli *slowest reader ever*'s Reviews > By Chance Met

By Chance Met by Eressë

Dec 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: coming-of-age, fantasy, m-m, mpreg
Read from December 19 to 26, 2011

2.5 – 3 stars or something.

Seeing the high ratings and great reviews this book has received, I'm feeling a bit like the odd duck in the pond because I think this one was the weekest installment in this series to date. Compared to the first two books it was rather bland in terms of characters, events and/or plot.

Despite the smooth narration and rich fantasy world I found the story to be dragging, unoriginal and rather boring with characters I couldn’t quite warm up to. The twists and turns of the plot were predictable, well-used and uninspriring and despite the spot-on characterizations of Naeth, the innocent and naïve youth, and Reijir, the hurt, cynical and reticent noble, they didn’t really feel three-dimensional to me. And although there were the usual obstacles to their blossoming relationship I would have loved to have it all go down a bit more spectacularly. But that’s probably just me. Also, there were some moments where the MCs’ actions or reactions slightly confused me or left me wondering. All in all, there wasn’t much chemistry between me and the MCs and the story just couldn’t hold my undivided attention. In fact, I was tempted more than once to skim through it to come to the end.

In addition, new bits and pieces to add to this amazing fantasy world were scarce and I would have loved to see more of the wonderful and amusing family banter between the members of the royal clique which I came to love in the first two books.

My highlights of this installement were Keiran and Ruomi, the former almost stealing the show from his brother Reijir, certain funny/hot incidents and the few heartwarming moments of kinship that are, among other things, kind of a trademark of this series.

To make a long story short, I was disappointed with this newest offering.

But I’m not questioning the great reviews, I’m even a bit jealous as I expected to enjoy this one very much, too. And I do not mind well-used, typical plot devices that serve a certain story trope – going by the blurb this was right up my alley. When it came down to it, though, it simply didn’t work for me on many levels.

That being said, I’m looking forward to the next installment in the hopes I’ll like it better than this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Chance Met.

45.0% "OMG! Eavesdropping had never been so hot! *lol* Naeth is a curious little brat and I can't wait to read Kei and Ruo's story. *fans self*"
55.0% "I can't help it. My inner romantic just got slapped and I want to kick Reijir-tyhar where it really hurts."
85.0% "You have to love Rohyr's deliciously overbearing royal self! ;) But I'm still waiting for Naeth to physically hurt the love of his life. Well? *taps foot*"
95.0% "Heyas! Who expected the serious, matter-of-fact, down-to-earth healer to be so naughty? *rofl* I like the way his mind works - and he gets an own story. *gleefully rubs hands*"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Nova (new) - added it

Nova Oh! I need to read the second book! ;)

Lilli *slowest reader ever* Well, what are you waiting for?! Do it! :)))

message 3: by Nova (new) - added it

Nova After I finish Room at the Top I will read it!!

Lilli *slowest reader ever* Awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the story and characters. It's different from the first one.