Ann's Reviews > The Tower Treasure

The Tower Treasure by Franklin W. Dixon

May 05, 11

bookshelves: k-6, tween, 1920s, classics, high-school, mystery, police-law-enforcement, theft, books-for-boys
Read from April 25 to May 02, 2011

I honestly can't decide if this the worst book ever or the greatest book ever. I mean, I know it's neither, but I feel like the things I loved about it were also the things I hated. The mystery was mediocre, but I love the book for its quaint language and the fact that it preserves that kind of culture that is lost on modern readers, but I also had a hard time feeling like kids today would enjoy reading the book because it is so antiquated. And the Hardy Boys are so square! Until they decide to terrorize the local police, of course. It is so completely different than books coming out right now that I felt like I was reading it as a historical document more than as a viable children's book. And the racism! Wow! But even that was something I totally enjoyed because it shocked me so much to read it in a book where characters like that were acceptable. (And also because I'm Italian.) I'm curious to read the updated 1950s version since I understand that things were changed a lot, but I can't see me picking up many more Hardy Boys books other than to giggle at more descriptions of how the four chums hopped on their motorbikes in search of an auto thief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tower Treasure.