Katie's Reviews > Audrey, Wait!

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Apr 25, 11

Read in January, 2011

Recap:
So Audrey's wanna-be-rock-star boyfriend Evan hasn't written a truly great song since... oh... ever. But it turns out that he was just waiting for his first heartbreak to get truly inspired. When Audrey breaks up with him, he takes the opportunity to pour his heart out into the words and lyrics of "Audrey, Wait!" a song that goes #1 on the Billboard charts in only a matter of months.

Audrey used to be just any other teenager, but now she can't wait 5 minutes in line at the grocery store without seeing her face and the drama-de-jour splashed across the cover of every tabloid magazine.

So what is a girl to do? Heed the advice of her best friend, Victoria, and take full advantage of all of the fun and freebies that life as a celeb has to offer? Or hide out for a while until the spotlight disappears?

Review:
When I first started blogging, I distinctly remember reading a few glowing reviews of Audrey, Wait! and adding it to my library list. Well it's taken me almost a year, but I've finally caught up with Audrey. Robin Benway's debut novel was a super fun read, perfect for teenage girls who love music and boys. And really... isn't that a pretty big percentage of teenage girls?

Audrey's best friend Victoria was one of the best parts of the novel for me. Out-spoken, hilarious, and loyal to a fault, she's the type of friend that every girl should have.

The quoted lyrics at the beginning of each chapter were another highlight for me. Audrey and I have pretty different taste in music (she's more Violent Femmes and Death Cab for Cutie while I'm more Carrie Underwood and Beyonce) but her musical obsession got me excited to investigate some new genres. I'm going to start my musical re-education with the Audrey, Wait! soundtrack.

One note of caution: due to a fair amount of sexual innuendo and creative cursing, I would recommend Audrey, Wait! to slightly older YAs.

Quotable Quotes:
"'For a moment there, I lost myself, I lost myself,' I sang, and then the words began to pick apart my heart and I had to stop singing and just swallow hard for a minute and not think and put my hands over my eyes and make everything go black again." - Audrey

"Don't let them tell you that there's a right way to fall in love..." - Voxtrot, "Biggest Fan"

"Everyone says that babies are miracles, and don't get me wrong, I love cute little pudgy babies, but if you think about it, me having a baby right now would not be a miracle. At all. But finding someone that gets me? That's the real work. That's where the miracles are." - Audrey

"'Remember in health class, when they talked about how adolescents drink to mask pain? That's what you're gonna do.'
'Did they talk about dismembering ex-boyfriends, too?'
'I don't think we'll get to that until anatomy next year." - Audrey and Victoria

For even more Robin Benway fun, check out The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audrey, Wait!.