Jackie's Reviews > Nearly Departed in Deadwood

2195441
Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: kindle-lendable-books, e-book-read, read-in-2011
Recommended to Jackie by: Natasha Jennex
Recommended for: Anyone who wants a sit down read that makes you laugh out loud more than not
Read on July 05, 2011, read count: 1

Book Blurb

"Watch out Stephanie Plum, because Violet Parker is coming your way." ~Deborah Schneider, RWA Librarian of the Year 2009 & author of Promise Me

"It's no wonder Nearly Departed in Deadwood won the best overall book for the 2010 Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense!" ~Susan Schreyer, author Death By A Dark Horse

* * *

The first time I came to Deadwood, I got shot in the ass.--Violet Parker

Irony is having a big ol' fiesta and Violet Parker is the piñata. Little girls are vanishing from Deadwood, South Dakota, and Violet's daughter could be next. Short on time and long on worry, she's desperate to find the monster behind the abductions. But with her jerkoff co-worker trying to get her fired, a secret admirer sending creepy love poems, and a sexy-as-hell stranger hiding skeletons in his closet, Violet just might end up as one of Deadwood's dearly departed.

* * *

"Nearly Departed in Deadwood is a delightful mix of on the edge suspense and laugh-out-loud humor. Ann Charles is a star in the making!" ~Gerri Russell, award-winning author of Seducing the Knight.

My Thoughts

I spent all day off and on reading this breath of fresh air and let me just say that can I please move to Deadwood and shake Violet's hand! Author Ann Charles has a new fan, Nearly Departed in Deadwood is the first book in her new series that encompasses mysticism, mystery, drama, paranormal mumbo jumbo, some fairly decent sexual tension as well as steamy sex and most of all a grade A certifiably funny and heartwarming main character Violet Parker! Her best friend Natalie is also quite a hoot and her kids Addy and Layne would try the patience of a saint, but you have to love them and their innocent child's smiles when they try to pull the hood over Mom's eyes!
To top it off there is a real snake in the grass who works in the same realty office with Violet, Ray is one character you are going to love to hate!
Doc Nyce is a surprise a minute and hopefully in the next book the good surprises keep right on coming!

I have to say that it was a no brainer for me to figure out who the villain was in the story, however even knowing ahead of time did not prepare me for just how twisted and totally sick said villain really was...

Going into this story expect to enjoy it from beginning to end, hopefully just like me you will be happy to continue the series with book 2 Optical Delusions in Deadwood and book #3 Dead Case in Deadwood . Violet Parker is my new heroine for a laugh out loud good adventure in reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nearly Departed in Deadwood.

07/06/2011