Micaela's Reviews > Haven

Apr 25, 11

Recommended to Micaela by: No one
Recommended for: Maybe
Read from April 24 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, however, as the book went on I became more and more infuriated with debut author Kristi Cook's choices.

When Violet Mckenna's stepmom takes a new job in New York City she is exiled to the elite preparatory school Winterhaven. Though the school first appears normal Violet soon realizes that is not the case because every student at The Winterhaven school is a psychic, including her and finally violet is able to find peace with the disastrous visions of the future that have terrorized her her entire life. Just as Violet is settling into the life Winterhaven has laid out forher she somehow can't help but feel something isn't right, and it doesn't help that the hottest boy in school Aiden Grey is always eyeing her and sending her obscure mixed signals. Violet is in for a lot if she thinks this is just going to be a normal school year, but at least she will have her friends Cece, Kate, Sophie, Marissa, and Jack to help her figure it out.

There were a few saving graces in this book, the first being the group of friends Violet surrounded herself with, I believed the friendship for every second. Cece, Sophie, Kate, Jack, and Marissa were amazing supporting characters and I liked the connection they shared with the protagonist of the novel. Another was the clear cast system at the Winterhaven School. How the group of popular kids picked on the shapeshifters for no reason. It was very reminiscent of actual high school.

I was very excited for this book because I was really into a novel about psychics, however I was sorely disappointed since the novel actually turned out to be about vampires. For a long time I have been trying to avoid novels about vampirism (especially since the Twilight fiasco of 2008), howver the is barring the Evernight series by Claudia grey which I encourage everyone to read. So, when about halfway through the book Aiden revealed he was a vampire I was very upset. Upset because I had gotten attached to characters that turned out to not be what I perceived them to be. Whcich was a huge letdown.

Overall this was a good debut for Kristi Cook, but it did not necessarily live up to my expectations. However, since I stayed up till three am last night to finish I can't really say it didn't keep me on the edge of my seat.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.