Mark Wilson's Reviews > The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog

The Universe Next Door by James W. Sire

May 01, 11

bookshelves: apologetics, culture, worldview, christian
Read from April 25 to May 01, 2011

I have to admit that I struggled through this book a little, particularly with descriptions of worldviews and ideologies that were completely foreign to me (the chapter on Eastern Pantheistic Monism in particular stands out as a difficult chapter to get my head around!), but I feel this was a useful introduction to different types of worldview. In particular, I appreciated the author's returning time and again to the idea that we, as humans, have a desire to know and understand, and rightfully critiquing worldviews by nature of not satisfying that human need. Additionally, the structure of the book, in starting with Christian Theism and working in a vaguely chronological fashion through worldviews that developed in the West following the abandonment of that, it showed that the common idea of "progress", and that more modern means more refined, doesn't quite hold up under investigation, and that we may need to take a step back before it is possibly to again make a step forward.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Universe Next Door.