Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > Dark Descendant

May 18, 11

liked it
bookshelves: uf
Read from April 27 to 28, 2011

I’ve never read Jenna Black before so when I noticed Dark Descendant is the first book in a new urban fantasy series, I decided to give it a try. Nikki is just a normal girl who has a special knack at tracking down people. Her latest job was to find a girl whom her client, Emmitt claimed to be messed up with a cult. After Nikki finds her, Emmitt asks Nikki to go with him to bring her home. Wary, Nikki tags along and her life changes.

What Nikki doesn’t know is that she is a Descendant. She in particular descends from the goddess Artemis, but there are many people walking around whom have descended from ancient gods. It is at this “cult” where her powers are transferred to her and she becomes immortal. The others that live at this house are also immortal and each have a special power. They don’t take too kindly to Nikki, and she has no desire to be around these people who claim immortality and other powers. Fleeing, she soon finds that there is another group of immortals, the Olympians who want to use her tracking skills for devious purposes. Nikki has no idea who to trust or what her next step should be.

What I really like about this book is that at first there are no “good guys.” When Nikki first comes up to the house where the Descendants live, she is mortal. The only way an immortal descendant can die, is if a mortal one kills them. Once that kill happens, their immortality gets transferred to the once mortal descendant. I know it is a bit confusing and I was definitely confused in the beginning of the book. But the more you keep reading the more it makes sense. She unknowingly kills Emmitt, and his immortality gets transferred to her. At this point the Descendants think she is working for the Olympians. So they don’t trust her. In the big scheme of things, the Olympians are the really evil ones (or so I have deduced so far – there is still much to learn in this world). But that is not to say the Descendants are pure innocent. Bad things happen in this book, and even by the end, Nikki still doesn’t trust all of the descendants and they all don’t trust her.

So the world is a little confusing to start – but we also have much to learn and I like that. There isn’t really any romance in this book. I know it is urban fantasy but I do like my UF to have at least a little sexual tension but that doesn’t happen here. Hopefully in book two Nikki will find a love interest, or maybe waggle those eyebrows a bit!

The supporting characters play a big role in this book. Anderson, the leader of the Descendants has lots of secrets and a missing wife. Jamaal doesn’t like Nikki from the start because she killed Emmitt who was his best friend. Really, no one likes Nikki and she has a tough time convincing them of her trust.

The ending wraps up nicely with some gruesome scenes, but they fit the book well. I’m interested to see where we go from here.

Rating: B-
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Descendant.

04/28/2011 page 190
58.0% "pretty fun read so far..no romance but I like it"