Holly's Reviews > Tithing: Test Me in This

Tithing by Douglas Leblanc

Apr 25, 2011

bookshelves: booksneeze, christian, inspirational, non-fiction, read-in-2011, short-stories
Read from April 25 to May 09, 2011

Tithing by Douglas Leblanc is part of The Ancient Practices Series. If you're a Christian looking for information on tithing, this is the book for you. It's relatively short, consise, and unjudging.

Tithing is the act of giving 1/10th, or 10%. This means different things for different people. For some it means giving 10% to their church, for others it means giving 10% to those in need. The tithe has long been a debate in the Christian community, and Leblanc does his best in this book to share the stories of 11 Christian and Jewish families and their personal takes on tithing.

I enjoyed reading Tithing. The personal stories were both touching and inspirational. Time after time, the stories came back to their title theme: test me in this, from Malachi 3:10:

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says the Lord Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

Even though the stories and the backgrounds of the families featured in Tithing are very different, the message that comes forward is very similar. Tithing is trusting God with your money, that He will do with it good things, and that the Bible literally says that we can test him in this. As a person who has been new to tithing in the last year, this book spoke volumes to me. My husband and I, still in our 20's, have a lot of debt from college, etc. We are approaching the tithe in a graduated way, which is also described in the book. This book also offers a glimpse of financial responsibility. It has been said that you can look at your bank statement and see exactly where you're worshipping (where you're spending your money).

I recommend this book to Christians looking for an open forum of tithing stories. It's a book to read and to draw your own conclusions from.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of Tithing from BookSneeze. The opinions in this review are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tithing.