Clare's Reviews > I Know What You Did Last Summer

I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan

May 02, 11

it was ok
Read in April, 2011

This was the first selection for my middle-school book club (made up of fellow roller derby book nerds in need of a strong dose of nostalgia). Being a child of the '80s, I'd never read anything by Lois Duncan before. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the kooky '70s word choices, which were changed in the updated version, sadly. (Also in regard to the updated version, we discovered at our book-club meeting that apparently feminism has taken a nosedive in the past four decades. The scene where Barry tells Helen he doesn't want his wife working and then immediately chastizes himself for the stupidity of that statement is now followed by the qualifier, "Well, until she has babies, at least." WTF?) Anyway. I was glad the '70s dialogue was there to amuse me, because there were large swaths of the book where nothing happens. It's really kind of boring until the last 20 pages or so, when the killer (who, I must say, shows an astounding lack of follow-through) finally reveals himself. On to V.C. Andrews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know What You Did Last Summer.