Eric Mesa's Reviews > Beyond Wonderland

Apr 25, 11

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels-and-trades
Read in May, 2010

This review first appeared on my blog and reviews both books in the series.

The Mad Hatter Does Not Want to Be Late to the Unbirthday Party

Last weekend Danielle and I went to Borders so Danielle could check out the Buffy graphic novels and I could pick up Watchmen. While in the graphic novel section I started looking around to see what new books were out in this space and I came across Beyond Wonderland and Return to Wonderland, two comics in Zenoscope‘s Grimm Fairy Tales line. From the busty cover on Beyond Wonderland, I thought it might be like Clamp’s Miyuki-chan in Wonderland.

Beyond Wonderland Cover
Beyond Wonderland Cover - NOT an accurate indication of what's within (as you'll soon see)

But reading the back cover, I was intrigued. This story sounded a lot more like American McGee’s Alice. I was very curious to see where the writers would go with the Alice story. Tim Burton had already made his movie considerably darker than the Disney version we were all calibrated against. It was certainly a neat idea – what if an older Alice returned to Wonderland. But it was still kept from being too insane for kids, albeit older kids this time around. What if Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland had been rated R? You might have ended up with something like Grimm Fairy Tales’ Alice stories. So I delved into the books. And let me just say that from here on out THERE BE SPOILERS!

(view spoiler)

Late for an Important Date

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Wonderland.