Eh?Eh!'s Reviews > Flip This Zombie

Flip This Zombie by Jesse Petersen

May 03, 11

bookshelves: babble-added
Read from April 24 to May 02, 2011

This was more of the same, each chapter headed by pithy sayings and our snarky couple making their way in a zombie world. Instead of marriage counseling, this one used business. You can tell the next one will be carbon copy with life-affirming statements ( Eat Slay Love ? Uh huh).

I'd thought the first book had left off with our heroes heading off to find Sarah's father? Maybe I misunderstood, because this book had them near Phoenix, offering their services as zombie exterminators. A group of survivors had banded together in a compound and a scavenging/barter system had developed. There's a mad scientist (not a spoiler, the back of the book blurb says this) who is altering zombies (maybe a spoiler, whatever). Instead of David being stupidly trusting, Sarah is stupidly trusting. It works out in the end.

There's mention of a Midwest wall, keeping zombies away from people on the east coast. I don't know, this sketches out a situation and then zooms in close-up to one couple, but since World War Z was my first zombie-craze read everything else has been shoddy in comparison. I can't shut off massive portions of my head for long enough to really enjoy this.

HUGEST PEEVE EVER. The last book's dialogue was all "he whispered" and "she whispered," so much communication whispered. This one changed it up with "he said softly" and "she said softly." YaAAHAHAGHghaghhghghgh! Is this a writing tic? My reading tic began making every occurence of "whispered" and "softly" pulse with it's own neon beat. "I hate this," I whisper softly to myself.

The best thing about this series is that I lent the first book out at work and it got passed around. Someone ended up buying this second book and lent it to me. I have a few people who now occasionally ask me what I'm reading and will take what I offer. Sadly, it seems to have been a flash in the pan trend, but I just started the most persistent one on Bujold and he's currently on the 2nd book. I'm not letting this fish off the hook. Read, fish, read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flip This Zombie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This looked terrible. Why did she abandon her father!? Whyyyyyy!?

Bujold! Bujold! Bujold!

Eh?Eh! It was more eye-rolling than beach-read fun. And yeah, what about the dad she was so eager to find???

Bujold! Bujold! Bujold!

message 3: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Oh man, I was just about to start World War Z, but maybe I should wait until I've had more zombie experience and save the best for... later?

Eh?Eh! I'm finding I compare everything to WWZ and everything has been lacking so far, but that could be another personal reading tic. What else do you have lined up for your zombie experience?

message 5: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Oh geez, a ton actually. Ummm, The Strain, The First Days, Allison Hewitt Is Trapped: A Zombie Novel, Warm Bodies, The Iron Duke, Breathers: A Zombie's Lament and another one but I think that saying it has zombies in it is actually a spoiler, because you aren't supposed to know that going into it...

I've been collecting quite a few zombie books. :-)

message 6: by Eh?Eh! (last edited May 03, 2011 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eh?Eh! Hah, whoa! I've only read The Iron Duke out of that list and zombies are peripheral to everything else that's wrong about it, although it was lotsa fun. There are probably different levels of zombie books, where WWZ appealed to me more because I like a little more logic in my fiction, not just screaming bloody slashing. This one can't be accused of much sense.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The Iron Duke is very zombie-lite. I find I keep rereading sections of WWZ now and then, like some kind of weird between books zombie snack. It's one that's maybe even more fun on the reread, at least for me.

message 8: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Yeah, WWZ is kinda of a docufiction. Would that be the right description for it? Those intrigue me a lot.

I also don't want only hacknslash. I'd like a bit of mystery and a touch of could-be-real science.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyndsey wrote: "Yeah, WWZ is kinda of a docufiction. Would that be the right description for it? Those intrigue me a lot.

Totally. I think you're really going to like WWZ.

Eh?Eh! Elizabeth wrote: ""I hate this," I whisper softly to myself.

I love you."

Hush, there are others here. I hope you said that softly. ;o)

Bujold! Bujold! Bujold!

Eh?Eh! Oh, it's no Harington or crab-related topic.

Boodghold!

message 12: by karen (new)

karen i am here! belatedly!

why am i only seeing this now??

bujold!

message 13: by Joel (new)

Joel i thought eat, slay, love was your jokey make fun of this book title.

then it wasn't.

Eh?Eh! Stealth reviewing! Kinda.

I'll add the book link, I didn't think it might sound like I made it up.

Bujold!

message 15: by Joel (new)

Joel i would have called it "eat brains, slay, love." slightly less lazy. braaaains.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Zombies eat brains and Ceridwen has zombie snacks between books. I think you are at risk of a prion disease, Ceridwen!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Unghhhh....braaaaiiinns...

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Oh noes! Too late! Where are the LPs?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Looks like Ceridwen may have recovered...phew!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Unghhh....

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Or not...runs away

message 23: by TT (new) - added it

TT "I hate this," I whisper softly to myself. That was gold.