Regina Spiker's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Apr 25, 2011

bookshelves: shakespeare, sisters, cancer, college-town, pregnancy, humorous, theft

Such a trio of sisters - stalwart, bossy Rosalind(Rose), wild, willful Bianca(Bean), and spoiled, irresponsible Cordelia(Cordy) have shuffled back to their hometown for personal reasons - fear, theft, and pregnancy.

"We came home because we were failures. We wouldn't admit that, of course, not at first, not to ourselves, and certainly not to anyone else. We said we came home because our mother was ill, because we needed a break, a momentary pause before setting off for the Next Big Thing. But the truth was, we had failed and rather than let anyone else know, we crafted careful excuses and alibis and wrapped them around ourselves like a cloak to keep out the cold truth."

They move back in with their college professor father, who loves to quote all things Shakespearean and stay-at-home mom. The sisters grew up connecting with each other and their parents by speaking the Bard's words.

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth is it to have a thankless child"

The characters are deep and the relationships complicated. The sisters describe themselves as dysfunctional, but what is normal and what is not? The sisters learn to reconnect and move beyond their old fears and personas.

A delightful, enjoyable book - worth rereading, and written in first person plural style. Please read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.