Sharon Salzberg's Reviews > Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness

Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg

Apr 25, 2011

(Review from the author)

1 like ·

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lovingkindness.

Quotes Sharon Liked

Sharon Salzberg
“Sometimes we think that to develop an open heart, to be truly loving and compassionate, means that we need to be passive, to allow others to abuse us, to smile and let anyone do what they want with us. Yet this is not what is meant by compassion. Quite the contrary. Compassion is not at all weak. It is the strength that arises out of seeing the true nature of suffering in the world. Compassion allows us to bear witness to that suffering, whether it is in ourselves or others, without fear; it allows us to name injustice without hesitation, and to act strongly, with all the skill at our disposal. To develop this mind state of compassion...is to learn to live, as the Buddha put it, with sympathy for all living beings, without exception.”

Sharon Salzberg
“The difference between misery and happiness depends on what we do with our attention.”

Sharon Salzberg
“For all of us, love can be the natural state of our own being; naturally at peace, naturally connected, because this becomes the reflection of who we simply are.”

Sharon Salzberg
“With attachment all that seems to exist is just me & that object I desire.”

Sharon Salzberg
“To relinquish the futile effort to control change is one of the strengthening forces of true detachment & thus true love.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Seeking is endless. It never comes to a state of rest; it never ceases.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Buddha first taught metta meditation as an antidote: as a way of surmounting terrible fear when it arises.”

Sharon Salzberg
“In Buddhism there is one word for mind & heart: chitta. Chitta refers not just to thoughts and emotions in the narrow sense of arising from the brain, but also to the whole range of consciousness, vast & unimpeded.”

Sharon Salzberg
“All beings want to be happy, yet so very few know how. It is out of ignorance that any of us cause suffering, for ourselves or for others”

Sharon Salzberg
“By practicing meditation we establish love, compassion, sympathetic joy & equanimity as our home.”

Sharon Salzberg
“To reteach a thing its loveliness is the nature of metta. Through lovingkindness, everyone & everything can flower again from within.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Metta is the ability to embrace all parts of ourselves, as well as all parts of the world. Practicing metta illuminates our inner integrity because it relieves us of the need to deny different aspects of ourselves. We can open to everything with the healing force of love. When we feel love, our mind is expansive and open enough to include the entirety of life in full awareness, both its pleasures and its pains, we feel neither betrayed by pain or overcome by it, and thus we can contact that which is undamaged within us regardless of the situation. Metta sees truly that our integrity is inviolate, no matter what our life situation may be.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Like water poured from one vessel to another, metta flows freely, taking the shape of each situation without changing its essence.”

Sharon Salzberg
“When we practice metta, we open continuously to the truth of our actual experience, changing our relationship to life.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Metta sees truly that our integrity is inviolate, no matter what our life situation may be. We do not need to fear anything. We are whole: our deepest happiness is intrinsic to the nature of our minds, and it is not damaged through uncertainty and change.”

Sharon Salzberg
“We can understand the inherent radiance & purity of our minds by understanding metta. Like the mind, metta is not distorted by what it encounters.”

Sharon Salzberg
“Contemplating the goodness within ourselves is a classical meditation, done to bring light, joy, and rapture to the mind. In contemporary times this practice might be considered rather embarrassing, because so often the emphasis is on all the unfortunate things we have done, all the disturbing mistakes we have made. Yet this classical reflection is not a way of increasing conceit. It is rather a commitment to our own happiness, seeing our happiness as the basis for intimacy with all of life. It fills us with joy and love for ourselves and a great deal of self-respect. Significantly, when we do metta practice, we begin by directing metta toward ourselves. This is the essential foundation for being able to offer genuine love to others”

Sharon Salzberg
“The manifestation of the free mind is said to be lovingkindness, compassion, sympathetic joy, and equanimity.”
Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness

George Sharon, rated your own book 4/5? you're too funny (and awesome!) Thank you for writing this gem... one of the most influential books in my life.