Miriam's Reviews > Masked

Masked by Lou Anders

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: superheroic
Read from April 25 to 27, 2011

Over all a fairly solid collection of super-hero themed stories, this volume suffered a little from excessive uniformity of tone. It wasn't a bad tone, but after a few stories it got a tad predictable, and I can't help but feel that the authors as a whole were overly influenced by Austin Grossman's Soon I Will Be Invincible.

My favorite stories were uniformly by authors who were already on my to-read list: Matthew Sturges, James Maxey, Chris Roberson, Daryl Gregory, and Gail Simone. So while this volume did not suggest any new authors for me to try, it is nice to have the confirmation that I probably will like their books once I get them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday i just bought Hero. very late purchase for a Queereaders group read that will be over in a few days.

what did you think of the grossman novel? i enjoyed it.

Miriam I liked both Hero and Soon I Will Be Invincible very much, although each had room for improvement. I think they were both debut novels, though, and very good for that.

Miriam There was a cute story in this anthology by Paul Cornell about a gay guy whose superhero alter-ego is straight and how this causes tension with his boyfriend. I didn't list it in my review because Cornell appears to have otherwise only written Dr Who novelizations, which I have no interest in.