Linda's Reviews > Blank Confession

Blank Confession by Pete Hautman

Apr 25, 11

Read in April, 2011

This whodunnit kept me up late and I really liked Shayne Blank, the confessor who says he killed someone. I found his friend Mikey, who narrates part of the book, kind of annoying at times, but was glad to hear he came into his own a little bit at the end, and was maybe less of a 'dink.'
I think YA readers will really enjoy this, if for nothing else than the action bits. Lots of fights, lots of the undertow of what really concerns kids in high school, and so lots of drama.
Most characters are fairly well-developed, and the multiple narrator/scene construct works well. However, I wish the cop would have been just a tiny bit more developed. He seemed like a guy with more of his own story to tell, though we do get a bit of it.
But the ending left me a bit disappointed. So Shayne is really a martyr-complex runaway? Sure, he's had some tough breaks, but wouldn't it be better if he actually learned that running away from problems isn't the answer? I won't give more away here. This book won the YA category in the 2011 Minnesota Book Awards, and it was a good read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blank Confession.