Elizabeth's Reviews > Christ The Lord: The Road To Cana

Christ The Lord by Anne Rice

Aug 18, 08

bookshelves: retellings, 2008
Read in August, 2008

This was a quick read. I was a little disappointed that she skipped the majority of his life, but i suppose that's to be expected. I have not gotten the impression that Rice wants to rewrite the gospel and the gospel skips 20+ years too.

What i like about this series is that her stories feel real. I feel like i am growing closer to Jesus by walking with him on his life. the stories she writes to flesh out what is unknown about his life ring true. it had never occured to me until yesterday that Jesus didn't get married because of the hardships it would cause for his wife and children. it seems so obvious once i saw it.

I also hadn't realized how his tenderness toward everyone was taboo. I have read the gospel stories where society reviles this or that person but Jesus is kind and generous. seeing the details of a situation really drove home the point. When Jesus comforted Avigail after she was dragged i saw the kindness in the act. but then the reaction of her father illustrated how this was a break in tradition. it sort of reminded me how most adult men are viewed with suspicion if they like children, as if adult men cannot be just as kind, compassionate and loving towards children as adult women. it is a shame when society, out of fear, limits the kindness and compassion we can show to one another.

When Jesus said that the wedding should wait 3 months i knew why... but i wonder if it is obvious to others who read it (by not rushing the marriage it is further proof of avigail's innocence. there is time to prepare; she is not pregant, which will be obvious in 3 months.) were there other parts of the book that are obvious to other readers but not me?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christ The Lord.