Abigail Yow's Reviews > Wildfire at Midnight

Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: novels, books-from-my-personal-library
Read in April, 2011

** spoiler alert ** A well-written story by Mary Stewart, with suspense that will keep you turning pages. I've always liked the way the author paints a vivid picture of the character's surrounding. It's always so beautiful without disrupting the flow of the story - or so I thought.

I somehow got a little irritated in the latter part of the story. Every time when I thought that I was close to finding the perpetrator, another landscape description pops up, and it gets a little annoying after a while. At first, I didn't realize it but the moment I closed the book, it suddenly dawned on me that almost half of the book was filled with long, detailed portrayal of the environment. Not that it wasn't a good thing...I guess it just didn't do for me.

The characters, I have to say, were interesting though a tad predictable and flat at times. The heroine's romance did not seem palpable to me as the string of incidents that lead up to her disastrous marriage were not fully explained prior to the story. Also, I did not fully grasp the amount of love Nicholas have for her and vice versa. If only the author were to include more of their back story, would things have turned out differently? Well, who knows? It's only my opinion after all. ;D

Despite everything, I still think its an enjoyable read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildfire at Midnight.