Kristina's Reviews > Guantanamo Boy

1966353
Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: arc-egalley-for-review
Read in May, 2011

Khalid is a normal Muslim, English boy who likes to hang out with his friends, annoy his younger siblings and play video games. When vacationing in Pakistan with his family, he is kidnapped and jailed because apparently he is a suspected terrorist. He is tortured, starved and interrogated for two years. Time and again he tells the guards that he is not a terrorist but they do not believe him. While being water boarded, he confesses to what they believe about him, just to make the torture stop.

Guantanamo Boy is a gripping read. Taken away from his family for no reason other then he is Muslim makes this story a powerful read. What Khalid went through is a true story for many boys and something that I had no idea even occurred. Hundreds of young boys, some as young as twelve, were suspected of being terrorists and tortured for information. This story really makes you think about what is right and what is wrong regarding prisoners.

As a social studies teacher, this is an excellent book to have in my classroom and I think it would be very interesting and informational to create a project based on it. The students would be around the same age as Khalid so they would really be able to understand and identify with the emotions that Khalid went through.

Overall, Guantanamo Boy is a story that needs to be told and it is definitely a story that needs to be read. Even with the horrible subject matter of the novel, it will leave you with feelings of hope and forgiveness!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guantanamo Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza i got this one off NG too! (i sort of got rejected the first time, then requested it again, heh). sounds very exciting.

Kristina It looks really interesting, but also really sad. Not sure if I will even be able to get through it, but I'm excited to start it!

message 3: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza Kristina wrote: "It looks really interesting, but also really sad. Not sure if I will even be able to get through it, but I'm excited to start it!"

the whole muslim-boy-gets-shipped-off-to-GB just really got to me. since i'm a muslim too :)

message 4: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza i saw this the other day at the bookstore and was SO shocked! they normally never stock any books from small publishers and such. i read the first few paragraphs and it was gripping!

i hope i like it too, when i read it.

also, you're a social studies teacher? cool! :)