Jen's Reviews > Skinned

4919502
May 09, 11

bookshelves: dystopian-speculative-fiction
Read from May 08 to 09, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Lia had the perfect life. She was a track star, lots of friends, a boyfriend, the kind of girl who made things popular, until the accident. She's in a fatal car crash that results in her brain being downloaded into a new body. She becomes a "skinner." As a skinner or mech, Lia has to relearn how to use her new body, and she has to adjust to how people now perceive her. She looses her friends and her boyfriend, her sister and her old way of life.

The tragedy of this story is that Lia never asked to be saved. Her father made that decision and then regretted it. Her sister basically steals her life - she takes her place on the track team, moves into her circle of friends and even steals her boyfriend because she feels that if anyone is going to take Lia's place it should be her and not some some machine pretending to be her sister.

The whole book revolves around Lia trying to accept her new life. She follows the stages of grief until she finally begins the acceptance stage at the end of the book,after an awful tragedy strikes her only friend and he blames Lia for the paralysis he's left with. A part of me understands why he blames her, but at the same time, he always knew what she was and that she couldn't die. It was his choice to follow her and it was his decision to stay with her. I have a feeling we'll see more of this relationship in the next book.

I'm interested to see where this story goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinned.