Cinnapatty's Reviews > The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

Apr 25, 11

Read on April 25, 2011

This was the second book that follows "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie". This book was a disappoinment. Flavia was still Flavia and she did not disappoint, but the content of the book was more mature, a little more dark and delving into the complicated adult world. Affairs, pot growing and consumption, men who beat women, the death of a child, attempted suicide...etc. When the star of the book is eleven years old and these are the issues she's chasing around (even though she does have her own quirky perspective), well,that doesn't really fly well with me. There was a significantly greater amount of British cursing in this book also. Sure, it's British, but at this point cursing is cursing and it wasn't amusing as it was in the first book because of the great amount of it.

Overall, Flavia and Dogger are my favorite characters and their interplay is fascinating. I am not turned off enough to skip the third book, but if that disappoints as this one did, I will be done with this author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag.