Lin's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy
Read in May, 2011

I was expecting this book to be a slog, concentrating on my least favourite characters and those I found least interesting. In fact I think it served them well to be split from the others and stopped me always hurrying ahead to my favs.

PoVs:

Cersei: The bitch queen gets her own PoV and she's just as crazy inside as she appears. Cersei is a terrible queen seeing danger at every turn, she's suspicious and plots so much she ends up with nobody she can trust. She's an overprotective mother but she also wants to rule, though finds ruling is Kingdom is a lot more work than she thought. We also learn more about Cersei's past, about how for her there was someone other than Jaime (whereas Jaime has been pretty much completely devoted up till now) - And interestingly its Rhaeger Targarygen (for a man long dead he's involved in everything!)

"And from what I saw of Joffrey you are as unfit a monther as you are a ruler"

"Behind her loomed the Iron Throne, its barbs and blades throwing twisted shadows across the floor."

Jaime: I can barely remember how in the first book he pushed a kid out a window and killed poor Jorey Cassel. The villain is changing. Thank the gods he's thrown off Cersei, realising what a manipulative liar she is. He's learning to fight with one hand and keeps thinking of Brienne, bless. I was so happy at his reaction to Cersei's letter at the end, good for you Kingslayer.

"You are speaking of a highborn lady, ser. Call her by her name. Call her Brienne."

Brienne: Poor Brienne, off with Jaime's sword of Valyrian steel (Oathkeeper) still looking for Sansa. And with poor Pod tagging along! I am dying to know what the word she screamed was (and whether its enough)! (As Lady Stoneheart continues to be as crazy dead as alive.)

"She screamed a word."

Sansa: I can't find it in myself to dislike Sansa, its not her fault she's dull. I think she might finally be finding some strength now and Littlefinger has plans for her. We'll have to see, she might turn out golden.

Samwell: Ah poor fat Sam, sent from the Wall to become a maester. Spends most of his time being sick on a ship. It was too much for poor maester Aemon, he will be missed. Gilly goes along too, with Mance's kid! Jon switched the babies, which makes Sam wonder if he's changing, is not Jon anymore. We'll have to see, but I can't imagine Jon ever letting Gilly's kid come to harm (Melisandre wants to burn a king, psycho). Oh dear. Good for Gilly though, she finally takes charge of Sam. And then Sam hits Dareon, not craven no more!!

"Jon would never. Lord Snow did."
No happy choices and no happy endings.

"The trees watch over us," Gilly whispered, brushing the tears from his cheeks. "In the forest, they see all... but there are no trees here. Only water, Sam. Only water."

"Are you still a craven?"
"No," he lied. Jon had made it a command.

Arya: I was always an Arya fan, but she's going right off the rails now. There's not much from her, but she's finding killing way too easy. Then the "kindly man" (hmm right) stops all that, whoa!

The Greyjoys: For a race off pirates with the kraken as their sigil they are strangely dull - except for Asha, she's brilliant but not there enough. I've hated them since Theon and will continue too

The Martells: A little more from the southernly kingdom, with their gouty old prince and small army of kickarse princesses (who spent the book mostly locked away so they couldn't kick off and be awesome). Still not major players- yet.

Cannot wait for the next!!!

"How much can a crown be worth, when a crow can dine upon a king?"

"We had one king, then five. Now all I see are crows, squabbling over the corpse of Westeros."

"The knights of summer. And now it was autumn and they were falling like leaves."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.