penelopewanders's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: Young Reader's Edition

F_50x66
Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: work-related-read
Read from April 25 to 27, 2011

Started this before leaving on holiday... checking it out for a class. Now back and resumed the read.
Little did I know when I started this and ordered it to use with a class what a controversy was to arise about this whole story. I will still use it with the class, but of course we will be discussing more than just the story and the themes I had initially intended.
I am saddened by the whole affair - whether the criticism is founded or not the credibility of this project is profoundly affected. Somehow I expect that the truth lies somewhere between the two stories. Mortenson admits to his financial incompetence from the beginning, and in the full book (not the young reader's edition) writes about losing jobs because of his inability to stick to a schedule or be somewhere when expected. I remember frequently thinking he would probably drive me up a wall if I had to work with him. This does not detract from the fact that if he's done a third of what he claims, it's already terrific.
One thing I've had a big question mark about from the beginning - knowing how common the image of "the ugly American" is and potential wariness about Americans in many parts of the world, I am astounded that CAI was chosen as the acronym for the organization... rather uncomfortably close to a different acronym. Not sure if that's just a quirk of mine, but I wouldn't want to title an organization working in potentially anti-American regions anything that might be confused with the CIA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.