Chibineko's Reviews > Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime

Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime by Mizuki Nomura

Apr 24, 2011

bookshelves: cool, male-lead-character, moe, mystery, light-novel, short, yen-press
Read in April, 2011

I've put off reading this book for a while now. I've found that light novels tend to either be very good or very mediocre, with little in-between. Luckily this book leans more towards the very good end of the spectrum.

I rather liked the idea of the series. The concept of having a girl who could only eat books was pretty interesting- what would her reactions be to various books? What would she say her own book series tasted like? It's because of this that Tohko Amano (the titular Book Girl) stands out as much as she does & it's a pity that she's not played up more in the book. I like the other characters but with how cool Tohko was I just felt a little frustrated that she wasn't in the book as much as I would have liked.

Other than that the story was a fun read even though it felt a little uneven at times. When the book covers a specific plot point it does a good job but unfortunately it's the shifts between plot points that tend to suffer. I'm going to assume that this was partially due to how the book was initially published. (It was part of a magazine that published 1-2 chapters of several light novels at a time.)

Overall this was a nice read & the series has a ton of potential. It'll probably get compared to Haruhi Suzumiya at some point in time due to the "boy tolerates girl who is sort of a pest" dynamic, but this book has more than enough to make it stand out against that series. Will it be able to stand out enough to attract manga readers in general? For those who are willing to give it a try I say that it should.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime.