Sandy Tjan's Reviews > Casino Royale

bookshelves: 2011, ebook, mystery-thriller
Read from April 24 to 26, 2011

To: M

From : Jane Moneypenny

Subject: An assessment of Agent 007's conduct during operation “Casino Royale”

Dear Sir,

I am aware of concerns raised by certain members of the Service regarding Agent 007’s performance during the abovementioned operation. Therefore, I would like to offer my personal assessment, based on the debriefing reports and my own long familiarity with the subject.

It is true that Agent 007 had somewhat compromised the operation by letting himself getting caught by the Target, otherwise known as “Le Chiffre”. It is also undoubtedly true that he might have compromised the integrity of the valuable intelligence that we gathered by becoming an intimate of No. 3030, a.k.a. Vesper Lynd. However, despite all of that, he had managed to accomplish all of our objectives in the operation, as well as unmasking a potentially dangerous double agent.

I can personally vouch that the ‘errors’ that Agent 007 had allegedly committed stemmed not from gross negligence or willful disobedience, but strictly from certain aspects of his character, which are regrettable but perfectly understandable in a man of his persuasion. The most obvious of these is his antipathy toward female operatives, best illustrated by these quotes from the debriefing report:

“And there was this pest of a girl. Women were for recreation. On a job, they got in the way and fogged things up with sex and hurt feelings and all the emotional baggage they carried around. One had to look out for them and take care of them.”

And also:

“These blithering women who thought that they could do a man’s work. Why the hell couldn’t they stay at home and mind their pots and pans and stick to their frocks and gossip and leave men’s work to the men.”

Isn’t it patently obvious, sir, that such preconceived notions caused him to fall for the Target’s devious trap? However, he had subsequently paid dearly for such deplorable misogyny by suffering the worst kind of torture known to the male of the species --- a ghastly affair that involved a cane chair with cut out seat, a 3 foot long carpet beater and Agent 007’s naked nether regions --- the details of which is available in the medical report attached to Head of S’s memorandum.

Further on, his psychological condition during the long convalescence led him to develop certain feelings for Miss Lynd, to the extent that he was prepared to propose marriage to her. I can assure you that such feelings were genuine (even though he later rather callously repudiated them) and that he truly had honorable intentions toward her. It is obvious from Miss Lynd’s unfortunate reaction that the feeling was mutual.

Based on the aforementioned reasons, I propose that we keep Agent 007 in active duty as he had proved that he was able to overcome his personal weaknesses for the good of the Service. Besides, we now have incontrovertible proof that Agent 007 is irresistible to enemy females, a quality that might come handy in future missions that might require such ability.

Signed: Second Officer Jane Moneypenny, WRNS.

P.S. : Please disregard any insinuation from certain members of the Service (you know who they are, sir) that I have a ‘crush’ on James Agent 007.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casino Royale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Praj Hahaha!! wow! Emphasize on the 'crush' aspects.Specifics would be highly entertained.

Sandy Tjan Praj wrote: "Hahaha!! wow! Emphasize on the 'crush' aspects.Specifics would be highly entertained."

Actually, specifics are offered in subsequent missions, not in this one, but insinuations abound, especially in the cinematic version.

Praj Sandy, as far as the cinematic versions go; I'm game for Mr. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan.( Specifically in this order).

Sandy Tjan Praj wrote: "Sandy, as far as the cinematic versions go; I'm game for Mr. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan.( Specifically in this order)."

Praj, I'm partial to Mr. Brosnan, which I think is physically closer to the literary Bond, although I have great respect for Mr. Connery, who is the original cinematic Bond.

message 5: by Manny (new)

Manny I have never believed a word of the idle tittle-tattle concerning Moneypenny and Bond. Glad to discover that I was right.

Sandy Tjan Manny wrote: "I have never believed a word of the idle tittle-tattle concerning Moneypenny and Bond. Glad to discover that I was right."

Hmm, but what about that scene in Die Another Day?

message 7: by Manny (new)

Manny Sandybanks wrote: "Manny wrote: "I have never believed a word of the idle tittle-tattle concerning Moneypenny and Bond. Glad to discover that I was right."

Hmm, but what about that scene in Die Another Day?"

Puh-lease. Obviously faked. I mean, they even show you that it's a VR sequence. To be honest, I'm surprised you fell for this transparent piece of black propaganda.

My personal theory is that it's really the other way around. Bond has a long-standing unrequited passion for Moneypenny, and she just pretends to play along so as not to hurt his feelings. She's a nice girl.

Sandy Tjan Manny wrote: "Sandybanks wrote: "Manny wrote: "I have never believed a word of the idle tittle-tattle concerning Moneypenny and Bond. Glad to discover that I was right."

Hmm, but what about that scene in Die An..."

Ah, but I seem to recall that she is acting out her fantasies in that VR scene.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

message 9: by Joel (new)

Joel love this review!

Sandy Tjan Joel wrote: "love this review!"

Thanks, Joel. It was fun to write!

But FRWL is a much better book. The most surprising thing about this one is the the torture scene --- I thought that it was invented by the movie's screenwriters.

message 11: by Rauf (new)

Rauf What he said about dames....Ah those days of Mad Men and roses...

Sandy Tjan Rauf wrote: "What he said about dames....Ah those days of Mad Men and roses..."

CR was published in 1953, so it's actually pre-MM. But, yes, the same attitude. And so much smoking! Bond smokes at least 70 cigarettes a day.

Now I know why Roger Moore gasped and wheezed when he chased that bad guy up the hill.

Devlin Scott Brilliant. And I agree, FRWL is, in my opinion, Ian's best in the series.

Sandy Tjan Devlin wrote: "Brilliant. And I agree, FRWL is, in my opinion, Ian's best in the series."

Thanks.

message 15: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Vye The best review on Goodreads yet!

Sandy Tjan Paul wrote: "The best review on Goodreads yet!"

Thanks, Paul. Glad you enjoy it!

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I enjoyed that, too! But Vesper was Agent 3030, not 1801. Agent 1801 was Le Chiffre's mistress.

message 18: by Sandy (last edited Dec 06, 2012 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandy Tjan Mel wrote: "I enjoyed that, too! But Vesper was Agent 3030, not 1801. Agent 1801 was Le Chiffre's mistress."

Thanks for the correction. Vespers will regain her proper numerical designation in my review. :)