Abbie's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

May 20, 11

bookshelves: youngadult, dystopia, romance
Read from April 24 to May 03, 2011

I love more of a good thing as much as the next girl, but I have to confess I do long a bit for the days when some authors actually told entire story in one novel...sigh.
That said, I did really enjoy Matched by Ally Condie. It's a good mix of dystopia and forbidden romance, perfect for fans of both. Can we talk about the awesome cover art? The acid green color gives it a futuristic otherworldy feeling, and the girl trapped in glass is an intriguing notion and a good teaser for the story to follow.

Seventeen-year-old Cassia is excited to attend her match banquet where she will find out who the Society has chosen as her match. She can't believe her luck when she discovers her match is her best friend and neighbor, Xander. When she finally decides to look at the information she recieved about her match at the banquet, she sees someone else, a boy named Ky who also lives in her neighborhood and who has always been a bit of a misfit. Ky's picture plants a seed in Cassia's mind, and she begins to have doubts about Xander and the Society's ability to govern in general. This is coupled with the death of her beloved grandfather who also plants a seed of rebellion in her mind. All her life she has taken the Society's presence and controlling influence for granted, but now she's not so certain. She begins to wonder what it would be like to make her own decisions and to create rather than simply classify. But questioning the Society and the Officials is a dangerous game, and Cassia must decide if the right to choose is worth the risk.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Cassia's developing romance with Ky and her conflicted feelings about Xander feel real. She is also motivated by the power of poetry and language and by revelations that those around her are not dedicated to following the Society's rules to perfection, ideas that will feel familiar for young adults who are beginning to see their parents and teachers with more mature eyes. Condie's depiction of Ally's transformation from a naive and trusting girl to a strong and determined young woman is convincing. My only complaint is having to wait for the next book! (Grades 7 and up)

For more reviews, check out my blog, Bookish Adventures: http://mybookishadventures.blogspot.com/.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.