Mike Mullin's Reviews > Okay for Now

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

Apr 25, 11

Read from April 24 to 25, 2011

I'm pretty sure I just finished the 2012 Newbery winner. Yeah, it's that good. If this is becomes another Gary Schmidt should-have-won, I may have to commit career suicide by picketing the ALA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.

Quotes Mike Liked

Gary D. Schmidt
“OKAY. So I was going to the library every Saturday. So what? So what? It's not like I was reading books or anything.”
Gary D. Schmidt, Okay for Now
tags: funny

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave I loved this book the moment I read it, Mike. It's one of my favorites of the year (and up to this point, definitely on my list of Newbery picks). It's already in it's second printing, so sales have been good.
But once again, the cover really does not match the book. He really has terrible luck with these. lol

Mike Mullin Yeah, I'm not in love with the cover either. At least there's plenty of space for the medal, ha!

Tiffany Neal Man, I also thought Newberry after he got swindled out of it with WW.

Mike Mullin I'm bummed. I love Gantos, but Dead End in Norvelt isn't his best work, and Okay for Now is among Schmidt's best.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Yhard Mike, thanks so much for your review. Because of it, I put this on my list and just finished it. I agree with you - an excellent book!

Mike Mullin Glad you enjoyed it, JoAnn. Schmidt is brilliant!

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars