Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > Naamah's Blessing

Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, library
Read from July 25 to 31, 2011

After four years away, Moirin mac Fainche has returned to Terre D'Ange a much wiser woman. Terre D'Ange is now a country plagued by sorrow. King Daniel still wallows in grief from the loss of his wife Jehanne. His pain is so strong that he cannot bear to look upon his daughter Desiree, who is the image of her mother. Morin does her best to comfort the needy child, and sooth the sad king, but destiny has other plans. Prince Thierry, crown prince of Terre D'Ange, has gone missing in Terra Nova, a newly discovered continent across the ocean. If Moirin cannot find him, she fears what the future will bring, for Desiree and Terre D'Ange.

Nammah's Blessing is the third and final book starring Moirin (and the ninth book to take place in Terre D'Ange). On one hand I found it to be the weakest book in the trilogy. On the other hand, Nammah's Blessing still manages to tell a moving story that finishes up Moirin's journey very well. One of the mains reason I keep coming back to this series, is Carey's knack for world building. Although the series takes place in a second world, it also can be read as a alternate history, as she draws deeply from real world geography and history. Naamah's Blessing turns it's attention away from Europe and Asia towards Central America (Terre Nova), and I found the way she tampered it's history to be once again, fascinating.

Nammah's Blessing divides it's time between Terre D'Ange and Terra Nova. I really enjoyed the chapters that take place in Terre D'Ange, especially those which focused on the new regent, who does not always have Desiree's best interest in mind. The chapters that take place in Terra Nova are not as consistent. I liked how this part of the book resolved the storyline surrounding Raphael de Mereliot and the Circle of Shalomon. I also enjoyed the novel's examination of the subject of sacrifice. Ultimately, although the Terra Nova portions were interesting, they did not quite live up to some of Moirin's past adventure. I will admit that there are sometimes when the series's take on “destiny” is problematic. Thanks to her diadh-anam, Moirin often has an idea of what the outcome of some events should be. Although it's not always certain how she'll achieve that outcome, the fact that you pretty much know how these threads will end can rob the novel of some of it's tension.

Despite it's faults, Nammah's Blessing is a worthy finale to an all around solid trilogy. I found the ending to be particularly lovely. I know that Carey is not planning on penning any more novels set in this universe, so I am curious to see what she will come up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naamah's Blessing.

07/25/2011 page 58
10.0% "Just started this one. Quite excited about it, as I love Jacqueline Carey's work."
07/27/2011 page 195
32.0% "Book is just as lovely I as suspected it would be."
07/28/2011 page 312
51.0% "I am noticing this trend with Moirin and royal figures. Quite amused by it."
08/01/2011 page 610
100.0% "Just finished this last night. Just as good as I suspected! Review coming soon."
show 1 hidden update…