Lisa's Reviews > The Ha-Ha

The Ha-Ha by Dave King

Apr 24, 11

Read in April, 2011

This book tells the beautiful story of a man who cannot speak or read due to a head injury he experienced decades earlier. When his high school sweatheart asks him to care for her 9-year-old son while she goes into drug rehab, he agrees, and learns to see the world in a whole new way.

The book is about his healing, and his struggles to communicate his love to the boy without words. It's so moving to see how the two of them connect, without the man being able to verbalize his love. It also shows how you can make a real difference in the life of another person, despite your own limitations.

I especially apprecaited how the author shows us the consequences of misunderstanding others, and that past trauma can really change someone. We need to be more compassionate when we encounter people like the main character in this novel.

It's also extremely interesting how the main character comes alive, as we understand his thoughts and feelings that he can't communicate to the other characters. It's a very heartwarming novel.

My only negative comments are that it is really focused on some male topics, like baseball. Sometimes I got bogged down in some of the male-focused storytelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ha-Ha.