Trudi's Reviews > The Wind Through the Keyhole

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

May 24, 12

bookshelves: dark-tower, series, stephen-king, science-fiction, fantasy, 2012-reads, the-big-letdown
Read from May 09 to 24, 2012

Sigh. Well, it's finished. I will now try and express some of my deep disappointments here even though it will hurt me to do so. Kemper's review captures much of what frustrated me and left me feeling cheated by the whole affair. To be promised another Dark Tower installment and offered this underwhelming book in its place, so loosely tethered to the source material as to feel as if someone else wrote it, a comical pastiche in parts that tries too hard to be Dark Tower worthy -- well, it just leaves a girl wanting to cry.

I guess I should have read the dust jacket more closely. Maybe if I had gone into this knowing full well that this IS NOT a Dark Tower story, but rather a bedtime story from Roland's youth (ripped from the pages of Magic Tales of the Eld) my disappointment could have been more tempered.

As it stands, we get a paltry 35 pages of Roland, Jake, Susannah, Eddie and Oy (that's not even a story -- it's just used as a framing device for the rest of the book). We get about 100 pages of a Young Roland Adventure -- a monster of the week story that reminded me of Sam and Dean Winchester and an episode of Supernatural set in Mid-World (awesome idea and if Stephen King ever wants to write the Winchesters into the Dark Tower landscape I would probably die from fangirl shock syndrome). In this context however, it didn't work for me. I'm not the biggest fan of Young Roland anyway, and Young Roland in the first person is barely recognizable. It could have been anyone telling that story.

The remaining 160 or so pages is a fairytale featuring a young boy on a quest to save his mother, that may be vaguely set in Mid-World, but has so very little to do with ANYTHING Dark Tower or ka-tet as to leave one itchy and sore. It's a pleasing enough story, but all while I was reading it, all I could think about was 'the gang' and wishing I were back with them, walking with them, adventuring with them. When Stephen King announced he had another Dark Tower story to tell, I believed him, why wouldn't I? It made sense to me that there would be LOADS of smaller stories of ka-tet adventures that did not make it into the 7 book magnum opus, but nevertheless deserve to be told anyway. I want those stories, dammit! Pretty pleeeeeeease, can't I have those stories?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Through the Keyhole.

05/13/2012 page 67
22.0% ""The stories we hear in childhood are the ones we remember all our lives.""
05/17/2012 page 200
63.0% "Hmmm...I've suddenly stopped caring ... a lot. This depresses me."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kemper Disappointment, thy name is The Wind Through the Keyhole....

Trudi Kemper wrote: "Disappointment, thy name is The Wind Through the Keyhole...."

Sad but true, my friend, sad but true.

Maciek Great review, Trudi. While I hold the whole series in very high regard this seemed to me more like a stray idea than a coherent installment.

message 4: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Man, between the two of you, all of my excitement over reading this has evaporated.

Kemper Stephen wrote: "Man, between the two of you, all of my excitement over reading this has evaporated."

Trudi Maciek wrote: "this seemed to me more like a stray idea than a coherent installment."

Trudi Stephen wrote: "Man, between the two of you, all of my excitement over reading this has evaporated."

Oh Stephen, and you have to read this. There's no getting around that. Misery loves company and I will welcome you to the initiated when you have completed your task :)

message 8: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Kemper wrote: "Stephen wrote: "Man, between the two of you, all of my excitement over reading this has evaporated."

Wait until you actually read it. That's when the excitement really dries up fast."

Wonderful.

message 9: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Trudi wrote: "...besides... there's always a possibility that you will lurve it and think the rest of us mad!"

You know that's not true. You're just trying to entrap me into reading it.

Trudi As I said, misery loves company :)

Maciek Trudi wrote: "You speakee truth, sai Maciek. I think King should have chosen his words more carefully when he announced another DT book, because I think many fans were ready for an honest to goodness ka-tet installment ... not ... this. ."

Thankee, Trudi! I fully agree. I felt as if I was promised a steak and received a half-chewed Big Mac. Not bad when you're hungry, but after you eat it you start having second thoughts. LOL!