Becky's Reviews > The Wind Through the Keyhole

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

Jul 25, 14

bookshelves: 2012, dark-tower, fantasy, multi-dimensional, mystery-and-thrillers, ebook_nook, reviewed, stephen-king, young-adult, owned
Read from April 23 to 28, 2012

3.5 Stars
Believe it or not, there was a time when I hadn't read the Dark Tower series... but we don't talk about that. It's a painful time in my history, and polite company lets me keep my shame to myself. But I mention it because since stepping foot into the Tower multiverse, everything changed. I thought I was a Stephen King fan until I read the Dark Tower series, but I had no idea how much I could love King and his books. I adore this series. No other series or book can claim a higher spot in my heart (not even Harry Potter, though that's a very close second), so when I learned that there would be a new book in the series, I SQUEE'd all over the damn place. Messy clean-up, but so worth it.

Dark Tower is bittersweet. It is. But that's one of my favorite things about King; he makes it real. So I couldn't wait, nay... COULD. NOT. WAIT. to read the shit out of this book and finally see the ka-tet again. To go on another adventure with them, to see what this new interlude holds... despite knowing ka-shume is coming down the path of the beam for them. But then... I admit to feeling a bit cheated after I started. Maybe that's not fair, probably not, because had I read the book description, I'd have known that likely wasn't going to be what I'd get... But those of you who know me well, those who share my khef, do it please ya, will know that I wouldn't want to know, that I'd want to just go where Ka's wind blows. And so I did... but I can't help wanting more of Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy.

As a ka-tet book, low marks for this one because there's just so little of them here... but as a Mid-World/multiverse book, high marks, because there's a lot here in that regard, and it's quite interesting to piece together.

What we have here is a story within a story within a story. Not my favorite thing. I love Wizard and Glass, but the Mejis flashback storyline is long. W&G is my least favorite of the series for this reason, and I always get to a point where I'm ready for the Young Roland story to be done so I can get back to Present Roland. But saying it's my least favorite is not saying much, because every book in the series is fantastic in its own way.

So coming on the heels of Wizard and Glass, in internal story setting order, is The Wind Through the Keyhole, where our ka-tet takes shelter from a starkblast and has another episode from Roland's seemingly endless cache of Adventure Stories From My Youth and Other Relevant Tales from Before The World Moved On.

The first story Roland tells is of being sent on another mission by his father to take care of what's rumored to be a Skin-Man (a shapeshifter) terrorizing one of the baronies. Within this story is the story from which this book takes its title, which is the story of Tim Ross and his encounter with the Covenant Man, whose horse is called Blackie. Just sayin'. This story ties into both the Young Roland story, and the Present Roland story... in different ways, which was interesting.

These two stories make up the bulk of the book, which is short (for King) to begin with. But these are interesting, particularly Tim's The Wind Through The Keyhole, because of how other multiverse books might, and probably do, connect with it. I counted quite a few references to other books in the three stories, including Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman, and Desperation, just to name a few.

I won't go into much more detail, since everyone should read it for themselves. Overall for me, this was worth the read, although my heart still wanted more of Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy. Maybe... Maybe Gan will bless King with another Dark Tower book?

A girl can dream...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Through the Keyhole.

04/23/2012
10.0% "Must go to bed. Work Y U No let me read?? :("
04/24/2012
30.0% "It feels strange reading an "in-between" story, when I know what's coming down the beam for the ka-tet... but it also feels like home, being in Mid-World again. *sigh*"
04/26/2012
37.0% ""A person's never too old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, never too old. We live for them."

Ain't that the truth."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Can't wait for this!

message 2: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael "Down the beam." Love that, I've missed the beam.

Becky Wow... I just realized that I added this book to my TBR exactly one year before it was released. Neat!

message 4: by LC (new) - rated it 2 stars

LC Did you listen to this on audiobook? Stephen King is the.worst.narrator.ever. I can't even with him. I'm not even really paying attention... Thank god this book is not too long. And ITA about the history part. I dun care. Maybe I did a little, at first, but I'm over it. Haha.

Becky No, I read it - but I agree with you. I don't like King as an audiobook reader. Writer, yes. Reader, not so much.

message 6: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I can understand what you ladies mean about Mr. King narrating. On the other hand, I can find some magic in listening to an author read his own work. He IS those characters. Maybe it's just me?

Becky It's been pretty unusual for me to enjoy an author reading their own book. So far, only Neil Gaiman has done a reading that I feel works for me.

In theory, I agree that the author should be the best person to read what they've created, but in reality, that's not how it goes.

message 8: by LC (new) - rated it 2 stars

LC I enjoyed Neil's reading of The Ocean at the End if the Lane so much that I started reading other books with his voice in my head. Tina Fey and Jim Gaffigan are also pretty good narrators. However, they were only reading for themselves, not characters they have created.

But Stephen King... I love him but wow.... To go from Muller and Guidall, it's just... not good. He does not do character voices, everyone sounds the same and there is not much variation in his voice. It makes it hard to focus and pay attention.

Becky April, I wholeheartedly recommend listening to The Graveyard Book read by Neil. OMG. It is fantastic. You can actually watch it here: http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour....

message 10: by LC (new) - rated it 2 stars

LC Thanks Becky! I will do that. I actually started reading that book but only got about 30% in before I got bored. But I think if I listened to Neil reading it I'll like it a whole lot more.