Rosa's Reviews > Harry Potter Boxset

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling

F_50x66
Apr 28, 08

bookshelves: children-s-literature

I read the first book for my Children's Literature class at BYU when it first came out. Well, of course I was hooked and had to read the rest of the series each time a new book came out.
I do have to say I was disappointed in the language in the last book. I really think swearing is unnecessary and I'm sad that she included it in a children's book. I know people will argue that, Rowling "didn't write that last book for children" and that the books were supposed to mature with her audience, but I have two comments about that. (1)Of course children are going to want to read the others after they've read the first one. So, does that mean the fast readers should have to wait until they're "mature" enough for such language before they get to find out what happens? (2)If so, I don't think any of us are "mature" enough for such language because, although we mature in age that doesn't mean we need to become desensitized to crude language, even if we say we're "tuning it out" or "skipping over it" with our eyes.
President Hinckley referred to Channing Pollock about this very topic, who said: "Contemplating the adolescence through which we scorned the wrong, some of us must wish . . .that we could be born old, and grow younger and cleaner and ever simpler and more innocent, until at last, with the white souls of little children, we lay us down to eternal sleep." I am one of those who wish we could stay as pure as when we were born, and we can actually -- through the atonement of Christ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter Boxset.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I agree with Rosa's comment that the crudeness did not need to be involved in the last book. I really did enjoy the series though.

message 2: by Ida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ida Well, I don't know how the language is in english, because I've read it on my first-language, danish, but in the danish version I don't think the swearing was that bad. But I've been to England and I know how bad swearing is there, I just have to say that where I'm from the language in this book is really "good" compared to alot of other books. In Denmark everyone swear, at least almost everyone and we don't really think about it even though we know it's a bad habit. But I guess what I mean is that for some people the swearing in this book is bad, for other it's not.